Discuss Kitchen Sockets. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tedglen2

Chasing holes for new sockets in kitchen. What height should they be to top of socket. i was thinking 1100mm to top of socket. i also would like to put one low down at 450mm for fridge and washer.

one more thing, how far should they be from cooker and sink.

Thanks eveyone !

i am working with a part P eletrician. he did not seem to be very clear on the last visit. he just said 300mm from a sink. and 8 inches off worktop

Hi mate,

min height is 450mm to the bottom of the socket outlet from the finished floor level, when you are cutting/chasing the wall for your back boxes allow an extra 25mm at least higher, to take into account the amount of overlap of the accessory.

I had an arsey BC control inspector once pull me on it, I usually allow an extra 50mm higher now if the floor is not finished.

hmmm, that didnt help much. just looking for advice then when he visits next i can show him where i would like to put stuff. i would like show him i have an idea or things thats all

Chasing holes for new sockets in kitchen. What height should they be to top of socket. i was thinking 1100mm to top of socket. i also would like to put one low down at 450mm for fridge and washer.

one more thing, how far should they be from cooker and sink.

Thanks eveyone !

i am working with a part P eletrician. he did not seem to be very clear on the last visit. he just said 300mm from a sink. and 8 inches off worktop

You've answered your own question. If your Part P Electrician has given you the measurements then do as he says. If you alter his instructions then he may not sign off your work.

The electrician should be able to tell you as he would have designed the job and therefore know what is what. If your working with him then why cant you just ring him, 10 times quicker than asking on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Height off the work top depends on if you're having an upstand (usually 100mm), but 200 to 240mm would be OK.
300mm from a sink or cooker would be a minimum, further away would be better.
Low socket for any appliance would require a DP isolator above work top. There is no height requirement below a worktop.

There is always something irritating about deception
I detest the part p nonsense, but screwing with peoples good intentions and assistance is another turkey that should be put on the table

Untrained people are more and more gleaming bits of information to carry out these projects, that they are either not trained to safely do, or are performing illegally
There should either be a competent Spark in full control of this job,or guidance given from the Labc that has recieved the notification fee

Hi mate,

min height is 450mm to the bottom of the socket outlet from the finished floor level,...............................
I had an arsey BC control inspector once pull me on it, I usually allow an extra 50mm higher now if the floor is not finished.

If it was an addition to an existing installation he is talking out of his rear end.
The socket height thing is to do with disabled access (BR Part M). There's no point having sockets accessible at wheelchair height unless there are also ramps and doors wide enough for said wheelchair.

In any case the socket height stuff applies only in living areas and where the disabled may reasonably require access. Kitchens are excluded from this requirement. Can't see a disabled person needing access to a socket behind a washing machine:tongue3:

Ted, like many others, I believe you are an enthusiastic DIYer which in some respects I applaud for your willingness to have a go however, some of the questions you ask on other threads reveal a lack of knowledge which I find worrying, generally speaking electricians are cheaper and less traumatic than funerals. If you are doing this yourself at least pay us the courtesy of being honest about it. You should be aware by now that there is a lot more to the trade than a few cables and a few accessories, we have to be able to prove that what we install is fit for it's intended purpose and is compliant with not only the wiring regulations but the building regulations in general.
If I'm wrong about you being a DIYer and the electrician is indeed supervising you from whatever distance then I apologise unreservedly.

If it was an addition to an existing installation he is talking out of his rear end.
The socket height thing is to do with disabled access (BR Part M). There's no point having sockets accessible at wheelchair height unless there are also ramps and doors wide enough for said wheelchair.

In any case the socket height stuff applies only in living areas and where the disabled may reasonably require access. Kitchens are excluded from this requirement. Can't see a disabled person needing access to a socket behind a washing machine:tongue3:

New Build mate,

I did the heights correct, and then the client changed the specs on the flooring and this changed the FFL.
They were about 10mm too low! FFS!, you know some BCI's are little Hitler's, he let it go in the end but whinged at the client and therefore me no end.

Its an ex council house. Was just going to channel existing circuit into walls but it has now turned into a full rewire and new consumer unit

Reply to Kitchen Sockets. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net