Discuss Kitchen under cupboard lighting wiring in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RapsterUK

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, we recently moved into a house that has a recently fitted new kitchen. One thing that was never finished was the under cupboard lighting (under the top cupboards to light the worktops) We were told the wiring was already there and connected to an existing switch. There is indeed wiring hanging down under cupboards over each section of worktop, 4 in total, but only a single wire at each location, so I'm confused as to how to wire up lights to them or even what type of lights to purchase? Can anyone help please? The kitchen was from Wickes.

Attachments

• IMG_20191220_093040.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20191220_093031.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20191220_093022.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20191220_093012.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 95
They look like "draw" wires ie tape on your light cable to that and pull onto the top of the kitchen units
The holes do not look to big for mains cable so perhaps purchase LED tape light, the power leads to feed the tape light and then drivers to power the tape light
Have a look on top of the units first though to make sure thee are cables up there.

You need to find where the other ends of those cables are to work out what is needed.
Have you looked on top of the cupboards to see if they are there?

They may all go back to a joint box where they connect together and to a supply.

Its very odd to see that red cable in a domestic installation, it looks from the picture like it is FP200 which is normally used to install fire alarms rather than lighting.

I thought the red and black cables looked like old stripped twin & earth, possibly 6mm2. Or singles of some kind. A bit of an odd choice, but if done by a builder, well they usually only use one size of cable and it's thick.

As in #2 they could be draw wires but then again, two blacks and two reds they may well be lines and neutrals if so then you have problems.

I thought the red and black cables looked like old stripped twin & earth, possibly 6mm2. Or singles of some kind. A bit of an odd choice, but if done by a builder, well they usually only use one size of cable and it's thick.

On closer inspection I think you're right, I initally thought the black ones were grey twin.

Hi all, sorry for the lack of replying, I've had some time to take another look. I initially couldn't see what was going on on top of the cabinets, but unscrewed the top edging and got a better look, it looks like there is some "standard" lighting cable run and looped to each point and ending with a juntion box. I presume the other end goes to the switch. What would I need to do to add lighting from here?

I have attached a few photos and a pic of the layout, which hopefully make sense. Area 1, 2, 3 and 4 on the layout pic relate to the pic names for that area.

Thanks
Nigel

Attachments

• Area 1a.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Area 1b.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Area 1c.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Area 3a.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Area 3b.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Area 4.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Layout.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 56
Did we find out what type of wire/cable the black and red ones were?

Reply to Kitchen under cupboard lighting wiring in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net