Discuss Kitchen Wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have recently bought a run down house and I need to run in all my cables for the Kitchen. I was wondering if people could confirm the below is suitable and correct for my kitchen and if they suggest any other way.

2.5mm2 ring circuit 20A (could be 32A)
two double sockets on worktops (kettle 3000W, toaster 1800W)
kitchen extractor 200W

2.5mm2 ring circuit 20A (could be 32A)
washing machine 1200-2400W
tumble dryer 2000-3000W
double socket outside

10mm2 radial circuit 32A
to 45A dp cooker switch then
to CCU then
to double oven (5.8kW)

10mm2 radial circuit 32A
to 45A dp cooker switch then
to CCU then
to induction hob (max power 12kW)

2.5mm2 radial circuit 16A
to 3 gang plate grid switches (20A rated)
to microwave 1000W
to fridge-freezer 500W
to dishwasher 1600-2400W

I have not decided on some of my kitchen appliances so I would like the cable to be suited for the highest rating.

Thanks for any of your help/advice in advance.

Nothing fundamentally wrong there.
10mm might be a bit big to get in terminals of 45A switches, will need deep boxes and some careful forming of conductors.
I understand the idea of over spec is better than under spec but depending on the length of run and insulation it might be a bit excessive.

What does the electrician who will be installing say, or is this a DIY kitchen fit?

Ring circuits are required to be protected by a 32a device, the last circuit will overload a 16a device at the load you have given and should be protected by a 20a device, and 2'5mm may be inadequate depending of the length of run, this needs to be calculated.
I trust you are aware that this comes under Part P, and therefore must comply with Bs7671, including certification, and must be registered with building control

Ps. It would be good to get an electrician on board early rather than late.
It can save you some expensive mistakes, the first mornings labour could almost be paid for in the savings you make by correctly rating the cables instead of going for worst case and adding some “just in case”

way overkill, IMO.
6mm cable (32A MCB) is more than adequate for cooking appliances. think diversity.
and i'd ditch the last circuit and share the load between the other 2 rings. diversity again.

Nothing fundamentally wrong there.
10mm might be a bit big to get in terminals of 45A switches, will need deep boxes and some careful forming of conductors.
I understand the idea of over spec is better than under spec but depending on the length of run and insulation it might be a bit excessive.

What does the electrician who will be installing say, or is this a DIY kitchen fit?

For installation it will be Method 100.
1st circuit will be approx. 20meters
2nd circuit approx. 25meters
3rd circuit approx. 8meters
4th circuit approx. 8 meters
5th circuit will be approx. 8meters to grid plate then 7meters to microwave, 3meters to fridge/freezer and 10meters to dishwasher.

Can change mcb to 32A for circuit 1 & 2 as 2.5mm2 in ring circuit.
Can change cable to 6mm2 for double oven
Can change mcb to 20A for circuit 5 as 2.5mm2 in radial.

Would this be ok? any suggestions
[automerge]1593853180[/automerge]
way overkill, IMO.
6mm cable (32A MCB) is more than adequate for cooking appliances. think diversity.
and i'd ditch the last circuit and share the load between the other 2 rings. diversity again.

Please see my reply above regarding method of installatuon and the cable lengths.
Due to my appliances being built in then i would like a local isolation point for them hence the reason for the last circuit.

Could you suggest the circuits I could do with the above information and appliances?

Last edited:
Personally I would put the outside socket on to either a separate breaker, or at least a double-pole isolator, so if anything goes wrong with it you won't keep getting trips on the other circuits.

A single 32A ring would do for the first two sets of equipment, but I would make sure that either your washing machine & tumble dryer sockets are above the appliances, or you use unswitched sockets and a 20A DP isolator switch above them (or in a grid switch as for your built-in stuff).

The Sottish building regulations require "white goods" power points to have accessible means of isolation, something that is good advice for all of the UK.

Other advice is use single socket outlets for them - double sockets are typically 20A for both, so show thermal stress if you have two 2-3kW loads on them simultaneously.

If as your profile says you are in Buckie then you don't have the Part P requirements of England & Wales, but for goodness sake make sure you are able to properly test the installation if doing it yourself. Unless you already posses a MFT it will be a lot cheaper to get a sparky in for that, and you can probable come to an agreement of what you do and what they need to check for a proper sign-off in order to keep the total cost down.

I would use 6mm cable , I hate trying to terminate 10mm it’s a pig and total overkill imo...
don’t bother fitting 20a for the rings , use 32a breakers...
the rest looks fine

Personally I would put the outside socket on to either a separate breaker, or at least a double-pole isolator, so if anything goes wrong with it you won't keep getting trips on the other circuits.

A single 32A ring would do for the first two sets of equipment, but I would make sure that either your washing machine & tumble dryer sockets are above the appliances, or you use unswitched sockets and a 20A DP isolator switch above them (or in a grid switch as for your built-in stuff).

The Sottish building regulations require "white goods" power points to have accessible means of isolation, something that is good advice for all of the UK.

Other advice is use single socket outlets for them - double sockets are typically 20A for both, so show thermal stress if you have two 2-3kW loads on them simultaneously.

If as your profile says you are in Buckie then you don't have the Part P requirements of England & Wales, but for goodness sake make sure you are able to properly test the installation if doing it yourself. Unless you already posses a MFT it will be a lot cheaper to get a sparky in for that, and you can probable come to an agreement of what you do and what they need to check for a proper sign-off in order to keep the total cost down.

That makes sense about the outside socket, I could put it on the same circuit as the two double sockets for kettle & toaster because outside socket for a power washer only.

A few people have said I could get the first 2 circuits in a single 2.5mm2 ring circuit so think I will go for this. For washing machine and tumble dryer it will be 2 single sockets. I was thinking about doing 2 grid switches for washing machine and tumble dryer because just now the utility is just bricks but I am planning plasterboarding walls and ceiling. Would that not be more than 1 spur of a ring circuit though? a spur from grid switch to washing machine and a spur from grid switch to tumble dryer?

Thank you for your advice.

seen so many grid switches burnt out. although they are rated 20A, these have failed when only loaded to 10A (ish) for washers and dryers.

I personally don’t like grid switches , I would rather just a few swi spurs / cooker switches to control the appliances...
[automerge]1593874817[/automerge]
Kitchen I rewired a few years ago , put a new dedicated ring in and new cooker circuit. No need for a grid imo.
spur next to a socket looks fine imo

Attachments

• Kitchen Wiring 18AF1157-86C2-4EA2-815D-1EBA0E15FB39 - EletriciansForums.net
    18AF1157-86C2-4EA2-815D-1EBA0E15FB39.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Kitchen Wiring 54E7173A-D548-41E0-A733-E3145CCACF5A - EletriciansForums.net
    54E7173A-D548-41E0-A733-E3145CCACF5A.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
20A D/P switch (with or without neon) above w/top. single socket for appliance below. that way you don't have 2 x 13A fuses in series. as Punch used to say (before he was declared a non-PC wife-beating sexist)That's the way to do it.

edit: to the pc brigade... i should have said "genderist".

20A D/P switch (with or without neon) above w/top. single socket for appliance below. that way you don't have 2 x 13A fuses in series. as Punch used to say (before he was declared a non-PC wife-beating sexist)That's the way to do it.

edit: to the pc brigade... i should have said "genderist".

Where would I have 2 x 13A fuses in series?

One in the fuse connection unit
One in the plug of the appliance

Reply to Kitchen Wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock