Discuss Kitchens off topic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Good afternoon
Amy of you chaps know if there's a standard height of wall units or whatever the Chippy reckons ?
Before I get the blame for the sockets not being centered vertically lol

Nope, there isn't. MIs will stipulate height between hob and extractor, but wall cabs have no specific height set out. The position of the wall cabs depends partly on height of ceiling and whether 720 or 900mm tall cabs are being used. Not to mention if there are pelmets/cornices going on. The client could have a 300mm gap between base and wall cabinets if they wished to.

There should be a minimum of 150mm from top of worktop to bottom of the socket face if memory serves me correctly.

Last edited:
Good afternoon
Amy of you chaps know if there's a standard height of wall units or whatever the Chippy reckons ?
Know it don't help, but tend to ask customer what height they want them above worktop, bearing in mind tiles, upstands etc etc(150mm min)

Nope, there isn't. MIs will stipulate height between hob and extractor, but wall cabs have no specific height set out. The position of the wall cabs depends partly on height of ceiling and whether 720 or 900mm tall cabs are being used. Not to mention if there are pelmets/cornices going on. The client could have a 300mm gap between base and wall cabinets if they wished to.

There should be a minimum of 150mm from top of worktop to bottom of the socket face if memory serves me correctly.

If a larder or built in fridge / freezer cabinets are fitted this will determine the overall height of the wall cabinets

Good afternoon

Never heard of anyone asking them to be centred!.

I normally position the switches and sockets depending on what the customer is having on the walls, so if there is an upstand I normally make sure the sockets are well clear of the top of the upstand!

Never heard of anyone asking them to be centred!.

I normally position the switches and sockets depending on what the customer is having on the walls, so if there is an upstand I normally make sure the sockets are well clear of the top of the upstand!

Also what I usually do, however this guy is nuts and can see things with microscopic vision.
Also trying it on as sockets and switches through the house are a varying heights in different rooms. All I'm doing is changing the plates but somehow should have gone round for a few days re chasing stuff by a few mm for free !

Mine are normally between 1050 and 1100 to the bottom of socket, from the highest point on the floor.
i talk to the kitchen fitter first tho.

Reply to Kitchens off topic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net