Discuss Knock a hole in A Sub-Floor Wall? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dodger421

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
A very daft question from someone who doesn’t crawl around under houses for a living.

Our shower pump has failed and needs replacing, it’s buried underneath the floor and rather than lifting Lino/plywood and/or laminate flooring I’ve lifted the carpet in the spare room and cut a hatch in the floor intending to crawl along to the shower pump.

There’s a short brick wall running the length of the house with no access holes in it (pictured) and which stops me getting to the location of the pump. Can I knock some bricks out to make an access hole between two joists or is that verboten?

Attachments

• Knock a hole in A Sub-Floor Wall? 7BCE156F-8E6D-44DF-A9AD-5211CB3632BE - EletriciansForums.net
    7BCE156F-8E6D-44DF-A9AD-5211CB3632BE.jpeg
    514.1 KB · Views: 45
Normally there’s a deliberate route through from one section to another. Must be another hatch somewhere in the floor.

surprised to see those walls without cables and pipes running through the gaps between the bricks.

Normally there’s a deliberate route through from one section to another. Must be another hatch somewhere in the floor.

surprised to see those walls without cables and pipes running through the gaps between the bricks.

I would imagine there are multiple hatches in the house, but everywhere else is either Lino-on-plywood, Vinyl tiles-on-plywood or laminate. Lifting the carpet and crawling through from the spare room seemed like it would involve the least disruption/making good after.

There are four walls like those pictured running lengthways, and about 3/4’s of the way down the house another solid wall running front to back. There doesn’t seem to be a hole through that one (yet). I’ve had a camera in through a hole under a kitchen cabinet before and I think are some holes in the lengthways walls on the other side, but none on the side I’m on.

The picture brings back memories as me as a skinny 16 year old apprentice getting under the floors...

I could fit in that space with only 2 rows of bricks... just couldnt breath out unless my chest was between joists

The honeycomb walls are for ventilation of the suspended floor space to prevent rot, there should also be air bricks in the outside walls on both sides to provide through ventilation, the underside of the floor was never meant to be accessible, but sometimes hatch's where provided if electrical cable's where run in the underfloor space, but very rare in that age of building, only when modern electricians got involved did floors get butchered, electrics where in conduit from drops from the ceiling.

Excuse me if I am being stupid, but are you sure it is under the floor? I assume you looked behind the bath panel? More times than not a shower pump is mounted under the bath.
Wouldn’t that be nice? When we moved in I did think that, and even got all excited when I took the bath panel off to see a pump. Sadly that turned out to be the pump for the water jets in the bath.

I vainly hoped it might turn out to be in the loft, after all there were two 22mm pipes with ball valves just inside the loft hatch and roughly where the shower is. Moving aside the copious new itchypoo revealed they were in fact stop-ended after the valves.

The only place left was underneath the floor, and sure enough that’s where I found the bloody thing. Buried, inaccessible and leaking like a sod.

Thankfully the sub-floor is concrete above the DPM, so it should dry out quickly.

The honeycomb walls are for ventilation of the suspended floor space to prevent rot, there should also be air bricks in the outside walls on both sides to provide through ventilation, the underside of the floor was never meant to be accessible, but sometimes hatch's where provided if electrical cable's where run in the underfloor space, but very rare in that age of building, only when modern electricians got involved did floors get butchered, electrics where in conduit from drops from the ceiling.
Thanks Mike, I knew it was for ventilation and sure enough the air bricks are all present and unrestricted (good chance to check while I’m under there). I was surprised the north/south wall wasn’t honeycombed too given that it’s all one house, but it’ll have a hole in it soon enough so I can get through to the rest of the house for a rewire.

The picture brings back memories as me as a skinny 16 year old apprentice getting under the floors...

I could fit in that space with only 2 rows of bricks... just couldnt breath out unless my chest was between joists
Yes me too skinny 16 years old apprentice, no chance these days, mind you some of the big old houses in London, the voids were massive could nearly stand up and walk around the whole area with the brick piers like statues.

Reply to Knock a hole in A Sub-Floor Wall? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock