Discuss Kopex on Meter tails???? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sparkydavies

Just started at a new company (new builds) and noticed that they do not run the meter tails in 32mm metal kopex, as this is only the second company I have worked for, is this not a requirement or just my old company covering there backs?

I've never seen tails in copex mate. The reason I can think of is to avoid RCD protection if the tails pass under floors ect. Even then I don't believe it is adequate. Most tails are surface or in industrial situations in trunking.

Is this where the meter cupboard is outside the house and the CU is inside? If so it's a good idea to do so. Particularly with cavity wall insulation now being standard in new build.

Yeah running from the CU chased into the brick and into the meter box through the cavity, was just wondering if I should be doing it even if my boss says not to, my reputation that gets damaged at the end of the day

Yeah running from the CU chased into the brick and into the meter box through the cavity, was just wondering if I should be doing it even if my boss says not to, my reputation that gets damaged at the end of the day

For the sake of a couple of meters of Kopex, I would ... but it's your boss :) It'll make it easier to replace the tails in the future (no risk of compromising the outer insulation on cavity wall ties etc).

If you run cabling in a cavity then it should be protected ie in copex due to risk of damage ,rodent attack etc but dont forget it should be earthed to if its metal

Yeah it is earthed at both ends, doesn't all meter tails pass through the cavity if the meter box is outside?

they do, but often people dont bother to protect them. its good practice to protect any cable passing though a wall, even if its only by knocking a short bit of conduit into a 20mm or 25mm hole. its cheap as chips.

any cables i install through walls i sleeve with conduit one it protects the cable and 2 its easier to install the cables ,as for the earthing i wasnt implying that it be used for earth protection or as an earthed conduit for protection but more of a supplimentary earth

As far as the comments on additional physical protection on cables going through walls and cavities then I can't agree more, and as has been suggested it also makes future maintenance and changes soooo much easier!

Reply to Kopex on Meter tails???? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock