Discuss KWHR meters on 16mm sub mains. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

sparkdog

-
Arms
Reaction score
I have about 10 meters to fit to mostly 16mm sub mains feeding small flats.The easiest way looks like crimp 16 mm tails to incomers inside the CU and loop in and out to the meter on each one.Also thinking of getting the heavy duty crimp tool from TLC to do rather than the smaller ratchet one.Any comments welcome.

Not sure if I read your post correctly, but it seems your going into the CU first and then out to the meter ................I maybe wrong.

Most normal installations would be to bring your talis into the supply side of the meter and then a set of tails from the load side of the meter into the CU.

Are these private meters supplied by a landlord to the flats? As you will know if they are electric supply meters you can not terminate them it must be done by the supply company ie British Gas, E-on etc.

Yes they are all to be private meters and at the moment all the sub-mains to the flats are fed from a single meter in the main building some distance away.So the tails which are 16mm T & E,singles in conduit or SWA go directly into the main switches in all the CUs and aren't long enough to pull out and fit to the supply side of the meters.So the tails would be crimp extended and fed into the supply side of the meters and then the the load side of the meter to the CU.The post was mainly to see if crimping seems OK.If they were main supplies in 25mm I would use henley blocks.

Thanks sparkdog for replying. Crimping 16mm I always found hard work lol ................ could you not disconnect from the CU as they are now pull back out of the CU and into henley or adapatable boxes or are they all buried cables mate?

How are the tails protected back at the origin? Becasue if that those T + E are buried then as soon as you start working on then you will bring the dreaded RCD protection into play.

Reply to KWHR meters on 16mm sub mains. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net