Discuss L1 Smoke alarm / Fire alarm system in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Part 6 systems most commonly seen in domestic and similar environments have a Grade and Category system. The type of detection is the Grade which is separated into A, C, D1, D2, F1 and F2.
The Category is separated into LD1, LD2 and LD3. This is the level or extent of the protection.
Part 1 systems commonly known as conventional are your proper fire alarm systems if you like.
This has Category P, L and M.
P means property protection and is separated into P1 or P2 depending on the level of protection.
L means life and is separated into L1 to L5 depending on the level of protection.
M means manual and only consists of manual call points and sounders.
All system types for a Part 1 system are controlled through a control panel.

thanks for that. Allow me to explain why I'm asking.
I'm about to get some work I've done signed off by my local building control. In order to keep my kitchen area open-plan I was planning to get an Automist system fitted. I checked with my BC bloke [local authority] that it would be acceptable by him, and he said it would be just as long as I have an L1 smoke det' system. As well as some other things.

Now I spoke to my sparky who explained about an L1 fire detection system and what it involved. It all seemed like way too much work and so I decided against going the way of the Automist system. Today though I called the BC bloke and he said as long as I have an interlinked, hardwired smoke and heat alarm system in all rooms, then that would be sufficient. I do, I have a new heat alarm in the kitchen area as well as new smokes in every room, interlinked and hardwired together going into a separate breaker on the C/U. All done by my NIC reg' sparky and therefore certified by him. What I want to know is – this isn't the same thing as an L1 system right? Specifically the BC bloke said L1 smoke detection system. I hope this explains my confusion....?
V

BS5839:1 and BS5839:6 are different with their definitions and do not cross over. Part 6 defines the type of detection into Grades, Part 1 does not do this. Part 1 defines systems for life or property protection, Part 6 does not do this.

If you also have them in the circulation spaces like the landing and hall I would say you have an LD1 system. L1 applies to conventional Part 1 systems.

If your detectors have sealed tamper proof batteries this is Grade D1. So if this is the case you have a Grade D1, LD1 system.
If the batteries are replaceable you have a Grade D2, LD1 system.
The Grade only defines the detector type.

This overview of BS 5839, for domestic property may explain.

As Westie says, there are grades A to F
Which deal with the actual engineering of the alarm. Ie. The constituent parts and how it's put together.

And then the Category definition, ie. The risk involved and the areas to be protected.

So a typical domestic could be F LD3 for instance.

That version of BS5839:6 is out of date the Grades have been redefined.
same with the wiring regs. everything needs to be updated/amended/altered every few years to top up the suits' pension funds. us poor buggers who actually work for a living end up paying for it.

That version of BS5839:6 is out of date the Grades have been redefined.

Many thanks for your response. I'm still a bit confused. It seems I do have a grade d2 LD1 system. I can only conclude that when the BC bloke said L1 is required, he actually meant an LD1 system. This is because on the phone he said a hardwired, interlinked heat & smoke alarm system would suffice. I'm hoping so anyway because there's no way I'm going to get an L1 system fitted.

I think he must have. This is only a 3 bed flat on two floors after all. An L1 smoke alarm system is for commercial buildings and high rises as I understand it! It seems excessive.

What I think he was trying to require was that you still need smoke/heat detection and that it be linked to the sprinkler system... so if sprinkler is activated the smoke alarms also activate

I don't think he knows what he is talking about citing an L1 system for a dwelling.

What I think he was trying to require was that you still need smoke/heat detection and that it be linked to the sprinkler system... so if sprinkler is activated the smoke alarms also activate
I see what you mean Charlie. The Automist system comes with its own separate, heat alarm anyway. So that coupled with my existing one - I would have thought would be adequate.

I don't think he knows what he is talking about citing an L1 system for a dwelling.
I agree. I've just spoken to my sparky, he says he hasn't done my certificate yet, so he will come and do a separate test of the heat/smoke alarm system and put the details of my heat/smoke system on the certificate. I should then scan the certificate, email it to the BC bloke telling him : this is the system I have, is that ok and can I go ahead with the Automist installation? If he says yes, then I have it in writing. Then he can't quibble with me afterwards. As he is known to do.

Reply to L1 Smoke alarm / Fire alarm system in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock