Discuss LABC don't think I'm qualified to wire my house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

David Prosser

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Hi any idea what would consist of demonstrating you are suitable qualified to BS 7678 17th Edition.

As I have approach my LABC to notify them of my intention to rewire my house including a new extension. I have sent them copies of my: C&G 2360 Lv1&2, C&G 2382(BS7671) Lv3, and C&G 2391 Lv3. I have a number of other qualifications but they are little to do with domestic installing.

This is the reply I have received.

Good afternoon

I can confirm from the information you have provided it does not demonstrate that you are qualified to BS7671iet wiring regulations 17th Edition.

In this instance the fee will be £348.00 (inc.vat)

If you think this is reasonable then can you point me in the right direction of getting the necessary qualifications.

I have asked for an explanation from LABC only to be told "the surveyor look at your qualifications and said you are not trained to 17th edition"

Thanks

When did you do your 2382 ? They may require an up to date qualification. This would be the only thing that proves you are "trained to 17th edition" that I can think they may be on about.

Just on a jovial note, getting the BS standards correct will go a far way to showing you know what you are talking about BS7678 won't cut the mustard unless you are trying to determine the mercury level in natural gas?

;) .... BS7671 may be what you intended to write :rolleyes:

I'd get back to them on that then. I feel it is unlikely they would demand a totally up to date version of the 2382. Most in the industry who are carrying out work and that are members of schemes will be on an earlier version of the 2382.

Just on a jovial note, getting the BS standards correct will go a far way to showing you know what you are talking about BS7678 won't cut the mustard unless you are trying to determine the mercury level in natural gas?

;) .... BS7671 may be what you intended to write :rolleyes:

Hmm thanks for pointing out my mistake, yes as you can see it was 7671 however I do have EX09 &10 so maybe I do need to know the mercury content of our gas !!

It looks like they are sayng you are not a member of a part P scheme, probably not about qualifications, the only way you can avoid the building control fee is if you are a member of a scheme, not by being qualified. They are probably quite happy for you to do the work, just want you to pay for the privilege:) Even if you have a BC notice for the extension it wouldn't cover you for the complete rewire.

I think this is the problem with LBC making judgemental decisions on whether someone is competent enough to be an electrician. Show them your in a scheme, and no questions are asked. Give them a set of qualifications (from here certainly looks as if you are suitably qualified), and they don't really have the skills or knowledge to decide.

You could join a scheme, Stroma, cheaper by £60 and you could some private jobs to earn some more money for the rest of the year! :)

I would point out the irony that they will be requiring a 2391 qualified (or suitably experienced) person to check your work, a qualification you hold

Terrible echo in here :). Think your first option, is to sit down with the decision maker (as you suggested), along with your qualifications and seek clarifications on their decision. Ultimately, there may be an appeals process, but that would be even more costly.

Are there any other issues other that the assumed discrepancies regarding your qualifications that LABC are questioning?

If there is no appeal then this is one of them cases where I wish some board millionaire electrician takes their council to court. This insistence that you can only notify your work if you are registered in a scheme is just full of holes and begging to be tested in a court under lets say "restricting trade" or some other legal avenue. It is one thing having a proper scheme recognized through industry as the "standard" such as gas safe, which links your qualifications with practical exams ect ect...but this is just a mish mash misunderstood waste of time.
Ironic that the above qualifications in all likelyhood took several years to achieve but you could get someone with zero experience that "could" in theory be more "qualified" to do this work within the space of 2 months in one of these intensive courses.....the world has gone mad.....MAD I Tell YA !!!

Are there any other issues other that the assumed discrepancies regarding your qualifications that LABC are questioning?

I have no idea what you mean. Maybe you could elaborate on what you think could be a problem.
I have asked what other people think I may be missing so if you can shed some light on this it could really help.
I have copied and pasted their reply so you can read into it what you like, that's all the information I have, no smoking guns, no dodgy rewires or house fires just what I have put in the original post.
As for all the building work the builder has notified LABC and been inspected over the last couple of check points with no problems, which is no great surprise as he is a top notch builder who started of the job with " I don't ---- about with electrics, that ---- can kill you". So he had my vote strait away !

It is one thing having a proper scheme recognized through industry as the "standard" such as gas safe, which links your qualifications with practical exams ect ect...but this is just a mish mash misunderstood waste of time.

For example they could call it part P of the building regulations and enact it in legislation!:tearsofjoy:

If there is no appeal then this is one of them cases where I wish some board millionaire electrician takes their council to court. This insistence that you can only notify your work if you are registered in a scheme is just full of holes and begging to be tested in a court under lets say "restricting trade" or some other legal avenue. It is one thing having a proper scheme recognized through industry as the "standard" such as gas safe, which links your qualifications with practical exams ect ect...but this is just a mish mash misunderstood waste of time.
Ironic that the above qualifications in all likelyhood took several years to achieve but you could get someone with zero experience that "could" in theory be more "qualified" to do this work within the space of 2 months in one of these intensive courses.....the world has gone mad.....MAD I Tell YA !!!
Sorry mate you are talking out of your proverbial. The rules are very clear, you have two choices. 1. You put in a building control application, do the work (to BS7671), then get it tested and passed by the councils appointed employee or contractor, or 2. You get a person who is part of a CPS to do it and notify via their scheme. Someone with "zero experience" or with qualifications acquired in "two months" would NOT be allowed in a scheme. And BTW it is "bored", not "board" electrician, unless you are talking about one working for a "board", on the side.

Reply to LABC don't think I'm qualified to wire my house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net