Discuss Labour breakdown in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Chatting to a builder about a small rewire and he wants it done in a day (dint ask and nobody mention the 1 day rewire bloke)

I said it would be minimum 6 days for me on my own which he seemed to understand it Would take 6 man days labour. so I said I will get me and 5 other guys in which would be able to smash it out in an 8 hour session.

He said it doesn’t work that way and won’t pay for 6 electricians

Am I missing something...?

Rather than 6 electricians, perhaps just 2, with less skilled (cheaper) labour to cut chases, pull in cables, etc.

Oh wait, it's beginning to sound like that 1 day re-wire company...

Yes

But if he was happy to pay just me for 6 days But for some reason he says he won’t pay for 6 electricians

Am I going mad but 1 for 6 days or 6 for 1 day is exactly the same equation...

Odd that you were "chatting to a builder"and then ask why he can't see it's the same equation!
Ask him if he would bring 5 more builders on site to do a job in a day instead of 6...he'll say "Nah...it doesn't work that way mate!"
and you know why...

It doesn't always work quicker with 6 electricians for one day.
To be fair to the electrical contractor who does a rewire a day
1. It is not always strictly true as he says in his videos sometimes back the next day to tidy back up and finish loose ends.
2. They do them day in day out and have fine-tuned it to everyone their specific bit

It doesn't always work quicker with 6 electricians for one day.
To be fair to the electrical contractor who does a rewire a day
1. It is not always strictly true as he says in his videos sometimes back the next day to tidy back up and finish loose ends.
2. They do them day in day out and have fine-tuned it to everyone their specific bit
Also they do 16-hour days.

If I had go back for a few hours then I would not charge extra.
I’m looking at the job in more detail tomorrow and it probably won’t take 6 electricians

But which ever way I slice it , to do it in just one day I reckon will take a few of us

Reply to Labour breakdown in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net