Discuss Ladder Stopper in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

That doesn’t look that bad tbh. Something I could fit in the car.
I have a couple of them a short one and a long one, the long one is good for ladders that have a wide or flared base (multi function step ladders) both of them have seen a lot of work over the best part of 30 years and I'm still trying to find something that they won't stop a ladder slipping on.
They are also good for stopping stuff rolling or sliding around in the back of the car or van
Ive seen a few people rave about these. They look quite good.
I won't be one, I've looked at them many times and don't think they come near the Rojak's capabilities especially on wet surfaces, I also don't like the spikes in the base too much chance of marking a customers decking or stone patio

Ordered a Rojack. Very impressed and managed to get one half price.

Was this a one off or did you find some place running an offer? Interested in one myself and would jump at any half price deal.

Edit: Just noticed Rojak selling seconds of the 18" version for £19.66, which is just as well considering they're asking £12 for delivery to NI ?

Last edited:
Have to ask the question, are these things acceptable by the HSE as a means of footing a ladder, just thinking of any accident at work insurance claim you may try to make if your ladder slips and you fall off?

Have to ask the question, are these things acceptable by the HSE as a means of footing a ladder, just thinking of any accident at work insurance claim you may try to make if your ladder slips and you fall off?

Only mention of passing any tests: "We have now branched out into designing safe access steps and ladders in cooperation with various UK ladder manufacturers including our new Safe Ladder which passes the Loughborough Stability Test" Which is Rojak's sponsored research by Loughborough University for its own trade association.

No mention of HSE approval or recommendation: https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg455.pdf shows tying to the structure only, or an effective stability device, can't get to the bottom of if the Rojak system is deemed by the HSE to be one.

Last edited:
Further reading says: if you can’t achieve any of these options, (tying) foot the ladder. Footing is the last resort. Avoid it, where ‘reasonably practicable’, by using other access equipment.

The Effective stability device statement is a smart one, if indeed someone had an accident using a footing device, if would be easy to say "Obviously the stability device was not effective"

Only mention of passing any tests: "We have now branched out into designing safe access steps and ladders in cooperation with various UK ladder manufacturers including our new Safe Ladder which passes the Loughborough Stability Test" Which is Rojak's sponsored research by Loughborough University for its own trade association.

No mention of HSE approval or recommendation: https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg455.pdf shows tying to the structure only, or an effective stability device, can't get to the bottom of if the Rojak system is deemed by the HSE to be one.

From the page linked:

Since 1990 Rojak Design has invested heavily in Research and Development, Patents, Testing and Tooling and in 1993 we were the only manufacturer to be invited to demonstrate a ladder stabiliser to the HSE at their laboratories(HSL) at Buxton. In 1995 Rojak Design was the founder member of the Ladder Systems Manufacturers' Association (LaSMA) which is a small Trade Association of Stabiliser and Ladder Manufacturers keen to further the development of safe ladder systems.

As an Association we were involved with HSL in their initial workshop research into the issue of Ladder Stability which in turn lead to the formal work carried out by Loughborough University and the subsequent Loughborough Report. This report became the back up evidence for the Ladder requirements set out in the HSE Operational Circular 200 30 for HSE Inspectors.

Also from linked page:

We have a very good working relationship with UK ladder manufacturers as well as trade and professional bodies such as the Health and Safety Executive, BSI and CITB. Rojak Design was the founder member of The Ladder Systems Manufacturers Association (LaSMA) which is a trade association of stabiliser and ladder manufactures all keen to further the development of safe ladder systems.

I can't speak for others, but my interest in buying a ladder stopper is as a means of providing a sold base on uneven ground or loose surfaces and to reduce the risk of slippage on surfaces such as concrete, brick, ashphalt etc.

It matters little to me what position the HSE take on such devices, or whether they hand out certificates, as I'm more interested in utilising common sense as a means of self-preservation, than blindly following rules.

I was commenting from an insurance point of view and your own liability, what I was pointing out is that the manufacturer does not say they are endorsed by the HSE, if the units they offered where I think they would shout it from the roof tops, both of the research documents highlighted in blue are no longer available, stating that you have a very good working relationship with any body or association means absolutely nothing, the point of my initial post was to highlight that these footing devices are a last resort and not recommended by the HSE as a working practice.

I get what you were driving at and didn't intend that last post to read so sharply. In a lot of instances I have no means of securing ladders, so a ladder stop could only be considered an improvement. Insurance isn't a consideration where I currently use ladders, so it's purely a matter of improving less than ideal situations.

Reply to Ladder Stopper in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net