Discuss Laguna new battery discharging in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DorBailey

Renault Laguna Estate Mk1 1997 2litre. Had it for about 10yrs. Still 83000 kms on clock. Fanastic car. Husband formally a car mechanic now disabled with dementia !

Problem now – Bought new battery because the other one although only two years old appeared to be failing. However the new battery was Ok for about a week but now I need to jump it from the other charged up battery every time it want to use car. Now I have to take the charged battery on journey to jump it after every stop because it won’t start again.

I have made sure that I have turned everything electrical off before turning off the ignition and leaving the car. I have realised that when I start the car (by jumping as said) the in-car heater is on – I know for sure I turned it off and left it off during the last journey. Also the red security light which flashes when the ignition is off, remains on but doesn’t flash during journeys.

There is work to be done on the car since the indicators packed up before this problem and also the ABS light is on but has been on for a couple of months now.

However can anyone help diagnose my current the problem, please.

Take the car to an Auto Electrician or a Renault main dealer, the former will be the cheaper alternative and get an electrics diagnostic carried out. Renault radios especially the coded ones seem to draw power all the time but wouldn't generally cause a problem with normal usage. Left for several weeks though and you could well end up with a flat battery...

Hi,if you are coping with jump starting,etc,you are obviously quite capable :icon12:

Get yourself a cheap multimeter,able to measure 0-20v DC,they can be purchased for a fiver.

Measure battery voltage with engine off,should be approx 12 to 13v. Start engine,jump start or otherwise,and ensure alternator charge light has gone out,measure battery voltage whilst running,this should be in excess of previous reading,say13.5 to 14.5v.

This a very rough,non-definitive method,but for a fiver,you will at least have one more fact to use.

Good luck:icon12:

Could be as simple as a slack alternator drive belt.

Do as PEG and TAZZ says , check the alternator output, or as ENG says and get an Auto Electrician to have a look at it.

I have a multimeter here somewhere so I will do the test suggested by PEG (if my fingers don't go white with the cold). At least I will know what the problem probably is before I call someone out to collect it. Thanks all for you help

...Or...It's a French car,IN France...If you lift the bonnet,you might find the alternator (the workers) has had a dispute with the ECU (government) and blockaded the supply routes (wiring)...

If the alternator has got the water-pump,radiator and power steering pump,to huddle round a brazier,making protest signs....:patriot:

:icon12: C'est vrai - something's gone on strike, although the mechanics within have been very reliable over the past ten years - best car I've ever had so shouldn't complain but why does it have to have happened at the cold time of the year.....

...Or...It's a French car,IN France...If you lift the bonnet,you might find the alternator (the workers) has had a dispute with the ECU (government) and blockaded the supply routes (wiring)...

If the alternator has got the water-pump,radiator and power steering pump,to huddle round a brazier,making protest signs....:patriot:

vive la france, vive napoleon.

sod off froggie. racontez-vous waterloo.,

Bit early to have been drinking eh....or are you always that rude - still at home at this time of day so without any work - speaks for itself doesn't it. I'm English, born and bread (preferably sliced) !

:icon12: C'est vrai - something's gone on strike, although the mechanics within have been very reliable over the past ten years - best car I've ever had so shouldn't complain but why does it have to have happened at the cold time of the year.....

If a car has any electrical problems/issues, then it's always going to be the cold time of year that they will show up and bite you, especially as the car get's on in years. Why don't you just call an auto electrician and get him to come out and fix the problem. I take it you are fluent in French and able to describe the problem you are experiencing with your car. Shouldn't need to take the car away to fix...

Doesn't sound like an obvious easy fix, unless as others have stated it's the alternator. However, if the following sequence is happening, then the alternator is probably charging the battery just fine: a) with the battery charged, you turn the key as far as you can without actually starting the engine, and you see that battery warning light is illuminated; then b) you actually start the engine and get it running and the battery warning light goes out.

However, it is not impossible that you have simply been sold a duff battery that won't hold a charge. In what way did the previous battery 'appear to be failing', were you getting the same symptoms? What happens if the old battery is refitted?

You could take the new battery back to where you bought it and ask them to test it (however testing if it is holding a charge is not as easy as just bunging a tester onto it, which is what they may do), or see if they'll swap it because it's suspect, or maybe loan you a known-good one to try to rule out any problem with the one you bought.

Hate to say it but a car of that age, you won't have to use up much of a good auto electrician's time before it becomes a waste of money. Given its other issues, and especially if the car is going to need the French equivalent of an MoT anytime soon, it may be best to put it sur le eBay. Tell you what, I'll give you deux bouteilles de vin de table rouge et un demi-poulet pour it. On ne peut pas dire plus juste que ca!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Laguna new battery discharging in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net