Discuss Lamp holder getting hot in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Beeg

-
DIY
Reaction score
Evening all,

I changed the lamp in my dining room (ceiling light) for an LED one this evening.

When I took the old bayonet out, I noticed the plastic around the outside of the lamp holder was very hot. Could this just be due to the fact it was an old incandescent lamp therefore giving off a lot of heat? Is it normal or could it be a loose connection?

The flex between the lamp holder and the ceiling rose was cool.

Thanks in afvance
Beeg

Couldn’t smell anything , it’s a reasonably new lamp holder and no signs of any brown/black marks anywhere.

Ahh should be ok then.
Not Seen any round here, I do have a mate called Mark but he’s ginger..
Keep looking you might find them

inside the pendant is it metal or plastic .
I think it’s plastic inside. I’m probably just being paranoid as I’ve never noticed it before; I’m not really in the habit of changing lamps when they’ve been switched for an hour or so :sweatsmile:

some times if the bulb is over rated for the lamp holder and not correctly fitted the heat from the bulb will smell of fish especially when you cooking next to it .

Sorry should have said the bulb that was in it was 60W and the max wattage of the lampholder is 150W
stick a led one in and you should not smell ,if you l use a 60 watt and heat is generated form the bulb and will give off sometimes a smell when the bottom holder is not fitted for the lamp shade.

Thanks for everyone’s replies...I’m probably just being overly paranoid as normal! I’ll see how it goes with an LED / lower wattage lamp.

On a side note, just wanted to say how nice it is to have a forum that’s so welcoming and willing to give helpful and practical advice to people who aren’t qualified electricians.
Cheers guys/gals :sunglasses:

I wouldn't worry...if you have an incandescent lamp in a pendant, the pendant will get hot, and eventually you will have trouble unscrewing the shade as the retaining ring dries out and almost fuses to the thread...

As most on here will already know, there are 3 things that smell like fish...
and one of them's fish!

Reply to Lamp holder getting hot in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock