Discuss Landlord consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Weston

EF Member
I have just had a rental property tested. The electrician says my consumer unit needs replacing as it is not split load.i am only using 5ways of the current consumer unit and all cct,s are rcd protected. Is this correct?

Pete999

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Is that the only reason? any Testing done to substantiate his claim?

Reactions: DPG

KevinH

Regular EF Member
I have just had a rental property tested. The electrician says my consumer unit needs replacing as it is not split load.i am only using 5ways of the current consumer unit and all cct,s are rcd protected. Is this correct?
Sounds like the electrician is trying to get more work out of you!
Although any new builds or consumer unit replacements should be split load or ideally individual RCBO's, that doesn't mean to say yours needs replacing. It complied at the time it was installed and all circuits are RCD protected, which in my opinion, only warrants a code C3 (recomendation) and he shouldn't have said it "needs" replacing.

KevinH

Regular EF Member
If your electrician has "failed" the installation based on the reason your consumer unit is not split load then you should find yourself another sparkie! A genuine inspector would have just given a recommendation for this issue. Obviously I can't comment on other issues on the report as you have not listed them.

anthonybragg

Electrician's Arms
By the sounds of it, you have a consumer unit with an RCD as the main switch this presents a problem/possible danger that a fault on an appliance, for example, will trip the RCD losing power to all circuits these days regulations require a single fault not to affect other parts of the installation, therefore, would warrant a code 3 improvement recommended. Regulations evolve all the time to try to make an installation safer and should a fault or faulty appliance plugged in it is disconnected as quickly and safely as possible it does not mean that just because of your installation was to a previouse addition of the regulations it is unsafe.

anthonybragg

Electrician's Arms
Are you the landlord or the tenant?

Risteard

Respected Member
Electrician's Arms
Solar Guru
Ask for, and publish on here, the regulation numbers that it contravenes,he should have supplied you with the information in the report
Post a picture of the existing and we can go from there
In fairness there is no requirement to record the Regulation numbers against the observations in the Report.

OP
W

Weston

EF Member
I am the landlord. I have an electrical background but not domestic so am unsure of the current regs. The installation is as Anthonybragg describes. All other parts of the installation have passed other than the split load issue. Seems a little over the top for five cct terraced house!

Des 56

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
In fairness there is no requirement to record the Regulation numbers against the observations in the Report.
I did not say there was a requirement :(

If he has a schedule of inspections he should be able to note the number of the particular regulation where a non conformity occured against the coding given for any problems
It would indicate why the inspector feels it does not comply

Bob Geldoff1234

Somewhere,somehow,someone's going to pay
Can the main RCD be changed back to a main switch and then the 5 circuit breakers changed for RCBO's?
As the other's have said,it's more of a convenience issue rather than a safety issue.It's the OP's call.

Andy78

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I am the landlord. I have an electrical background but not domestic so am unsure of the current regs. The installation is as Anthonybragg describes. All other parts of the installation have passed other than the split load issue. Seems a little over the top for five cct terraced house!
What code is placed against this issue ? As said above, any competent inspector would have noted this as a C3 at most.

Bob Geldoff1234

The term split load is also incorrect.
I beg to differ.How is it incorrect?
Screwfix sell MK SPLIT LOAD boards here?

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Split load generally referred to part non rcd and part rcd. Your pic is generally referred to as dual rcd. The OPs board has five circuits so I suspect his terminology is at odds with what he means.

OP
W

Weston

EF Member
No cert has been issued yet. Just told over the phone. Was going to do the work myself then he’d retest and issue the cert. wanted to make sure the work was necessary because of time and cost

Bob Geldoff1234

Split load refers to having two separately controlled supplies(either rcd or non rcd protected) fed via one main switch.If the OP had a split load board fitted then 2 circuits would be on one rcd and 3 circuits on the other.(Quite often i find that when separating the circuits in a 5 way board that there is usually a extra circuit that has been popped into say a 32 amp breaker with the ring.When fitting the new board,this extra circuit can go on its own 16 amp breaker and you'll end up with 3 circuits on one side and 3 on the other)

Des 56

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
The chances are,if a new consumer unit be fitted it will likely be a metal clad number with two Rcds to split the circuits

In my own opinion the system you have currently is safer than whats presently permitted for TT systems
That is because the casing has the potential to become live with no protection by disconnection required
By that I mean no protection other than what they seem to term "enhanced protection" a sort of clamping or support to the tails to prevent the possible nasty fault occurring where a live exposed tails can touch the metal,perhaps just relying on only the supply fuse to hopefully pop

There again you could fit a Rcd before the tails to better protect,but don't you already have that?:)

davesparks

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
We don't know what the rating of this RCD is yet, or why it has failed.
It could be that the single RCD is rated at 100mA instead of 30mA and therefore a C2 may have been given for some items because of this.
This could lead to a legitimate recommendation to replace the CU.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 63 67.0%
  • Black

Votes: 31 33.0%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.