Discuss Landlord consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Weston

-
Reaction score
I have just had a rental property tested. The electrician says my consumer unit needs replacing as it is not split load.i am only using 5ways of the current consumer unit and all cct,s are rcd protected. Is this correct?

Is that the only reason? any Testing done to substantiate his claim?

Ask for, and publish on here, the regulation numbers that it contravenes,he should have supplied you with the information in the report
Post a picture of the existing and we can go from there

I have just had a rental property tested. The electrician says my consumer unit needs replacing as it is not split load.i am only using 5ways of the current consumer unit and all cct,s are rcd protected. Is this correct?
Sounds like the electrician is trying to get more work out of you!
Although any new builds or consumer unit replacements should be split load or ideally individual RCBO's, that doesn't mean to say yours needs replacing. It complied at the time it was installed and all circuits are RCD protected, which in my opinion, only warrants a code C3 (recomendation) and he shouldn't have said it "needs" replacing.

If your electrician has "failed" the installation based on the reason your consumer unit is not split load then you should find yourself another sparkie! A genuine inspector would have just given a recommendation for this issue. Obviously I can't comment on other issues on the report as you have not listed them.

By the sounds of it, you have a consumer unit with an RCD as the main switch this presents a problem/possible danger that a fault on an appliance, for example, will trip the RCD losing power to all circuits these days regulations require a single fault not to affect other parts of the installation, therefore, would warrant a code 3 improvement recommended. Regulations evolve all the time to try to make an installation safer and should a fault or faulty appliance plugged in it is disconnected as quickly and safely as possible it does not mean that just because of your installation was to a previouse addition of the regulations it is unsafe.

Are you the landlord or the tenant?

Ask for, and publish on here, the regulation numbers that it contravenes,he should have supplied you with the information in the report
Post a picture of the existing and we can go from there
In fairness there is no requirement to record the Regulation numbers against the observations in the Report.

I am the landlord. I have an electrical background but not domestic so am unsure of the current regs. The installation is as Anthonybragg describes. All other parts of the installation have passed other than the split load issue. Seems a little over the top for five cct terraced house!

In fairness there is no requirement to record the Regulation numbers against the observations in the Report.

I did not say there was a requirement :(

If he has a schedule of inspections he should be able to note the number of the particular regulation where a non conformity occured against the coding given for any problems
It would indicate why the inspector feels it does not comply

Can the main RCD be changed back to a main switch and then the 5 circuit breakers changed for RCBO's?
As the other's have said,it's more of a convenience issue rather than a safety issue.It's the OP's call.

Reply to Landlord consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock