Discuss landord has FAILED to supply a EICR test to a tenant : what can they do now ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

LukeD

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
First EICR was a 10 min drive by and tenant told "unsafe" this was 9 months after the deadline .To date the landlord has refused to get anything done about bad wiring etc etc . What would be the best route to complain , Council etc??

Apparently most councils have a specific team for dealing with private rental issues, but it does depend on the size of the sector within the council area.

If not, then you need to go to the environmental health department of the council.

Searching the local council website should find either/both of these.

However, before this you need to formally ask the landlord for the information with timescales.

"I understand that the electrical tests on my flat was unsatisfactory due to dangerous observations noted by the electrician, and although I have requested a copy of the report from you multiple times, notably on the 5th August, 10th September.... I have not received a copy. Please thefore supply a copy of the report to me by 10th January "

Then you can approach the council with the evidence of non compliance.

If it isn't in writing, or no timescales the landlord can dispute it, saying you were given a copy when we talked, or you agreed that you would wait until the repairs were done - basically their word against yours.

Obviously wording to suit their situation not just the random dates I put in there!

Edit

As a general note, it is always best to have at least three steps
Verbal request
Written request
Written request noting intention to action

Action

In each case reasonable timescales should be added, and the previous steps noted

'Please supply.... by ....'

"I asked you verbally on... please supply by...."

"I asked you verbally on... and in writing on... since you did not respond...please supply by.... it is my intention to.... (go to council) unless it is supplied by..."

Sort of thing.

Last edited:
Apparently most councils have a specific team for dealing with private rental issues, but it does depend on the size of the sector within the council area.

If not, then you need to go to the environmental health department of the council.

Searching the local council website should find either/both of these.

However, before this you need to formally ask the landlord for the information with timescales.

"I understand that the electrical tests on my flat was unsatisfactory due to dangerous observations noted by the electrician, and although I have requested a copy of the report from you multiple times, notably on the 5th August, 10th September.... I have not received a copy. Please thefore supply a copy of the report to me by 10th January "

Then you can approach the council with the evidence of non compliance.

If it isn't in writing, or no timescales the landlord can dispute it, saying you were given a copy when we talked, or you agreed that you would wait until the repairs were done - basically their word against yours.

Obviously wording to suit their situation not just the random dates I put in there!

Edit

As a general note, it is always best to have at least three steps
Verbal request
Written request
Written request noting intention to action

Action

In each case reasonable timescales should be added, and the previous steps noted

'Please supply.... by ....'

"I asked you verbally on... please supply by...."

"I asked you verbally on... and in writing on... since you did not respond...please supply by.... it is my intention to.... (go to council) unless it is supplied by..."

Sort of thing.
Cheers

Reply to landord has FAILED to supply a EICR test to a tenant : what can they do now ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net