Discuss Landscape panels, with rails running horizontaly in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

callum44

Hi,

installing some sharp panels in a few days in a configuration whereby they will all be in a horizontal line and in landscape format. i was planning on using hanger bolts with the rails also running horizontally. I know your not meant to use clamps on the short sides of the panels so wandering if anyone has installed the panels with the long sides resting on the rails then using 4 end clamps per panel. i've seen sharp allow you to do this but havent seen it much elsewhere.

Thanks

Callum

I wouldn't do it.. Dangers of the rails moving under heat / cold, unless screwed to the panel frame, however even then the clamps are supposed to be placed close to the quarter points on most panels. Also the sharp frames are not the most rigid of panels and you may end up over time pulling the frames apart.

Why not call Sharp and ask them? they are very helpful.

Thanks for the help. spoken to schletter who say it can be done and theres an exact drawing of that kind of set up on sharps instruction manual but was just curious to see if anyone had actually carried it out before. your right cruciform would probably be the way to go. although if im having to make lots of smal cuts for the vertical rails why not just install them as vertical rails in the first place and do away with the cross rails.

not sure what you mean with regards to the hanger bolts??? do some research.

Hanger bolts, I've heard of some people adding a noggin if the rafter isn't wide enough, I've never checked so does anyone know how that complies with Part A?

You might find that clamping on the short side gives a lower wind loading limit. Although we've never found anyone who can interpret the BRE wind loading guide, from advice we've been given you'll probably be well within limits unless you're living on Mount Everest. Mind you the Sharps are a poorly built panel.

Reply to Landscape panels, with rails running horizontaly in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net