Discuss Lap led flood lights weak in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I recently fitted 3 x lap led flood lights .
I changed the original halogen flood light and continued to the second and then the third light from the same source.
I wired the flood lights with 1.5 armour cable (brown black grey)
Using the grey as the earth .
Then the main feed had 4 wires brown black grey and green/yellow
I conected the L brown N black and the green/yellow and the lights come on but with a very weak light .
Any advise thanks?

I recently fitted 3 x lap led flood lights .
I changed the original halogen flood light and continued to the second and then the third light from the same source.
I wired the flood lights with 1.5 armour cable (brown black grey)
Using the grey as the earth .
Then the main feed had 4 wires brown black grey and green/yellow
I conected the L brown N black and the green/yellow and the lights come on but with a very weak light .
Any advise thanks?
It sounds like either you crossed the polarity or a neutral issue.

Do you know why the original feed had 4 cores? How have you terminated the spare and where does it go in the house?

I’m thinking one time PIR override?

Most electricians use the grey as neutral and the black as earth, but if they are marked up with blue and g/y tape respectively then that’s fine to leave.

Can you upload a photograph of the lights, model number?

Or have you got it fixed by now?

Last edited:
Try wiring one light up to a known good feed (maybe even just temporarily connect it to a 13A plug) and confirm that it lights at full brightness. This will narrow it down as to whether it's a wiring fault or lights that may not be as bright as you expect them to be.

Reply to Lap led flood lights weak in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net