Discuss Large builders in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Without getting drawn in to ‘how quick can you lash out a new build’...
1st fix basic spec house.
On your own you could probably chop all the boxes in one day and start drilling out joists. Day two finishing drilling the joist holes then start pulling cables. Day three full on cable pulling day. Day four finish off wiring and do all your capping and tidy up any odd bits.
Day five if necessary

?
Totally agree,same procedure I had,many years ago.

Without getting drawn in to ‘how quick can you lash out a new build’...
1st fix basic spec house.
On your own you could probably chop all the boxes in one day and start drilling out joists. Day two finishing drilling the joist holes then start pulling cables. Day three full on cable pulling day. Day four finish off wiring and do all your capping and tidy up any odd bits.
Day five if necessary

?
No chopping in boxes as dot and dad so 25mm boxes are used only ones to be chopped in are 35 & 47mm for the grid, cooker and shaver sockets.
All the large housebuilders use I beams with the webbing or have the knock out holes if need drilling they are only thin ply type wood.

Most new builds these days are fast fix boxes , fine for switches but after a few months of pulling plug tops in / out from 13a sockets they start to break the plaster around the wings.
Then looks dog rough

I was helping out a friend back end of last year to get some new builds done before christmas on a labour only basis. Only 8 houses.
He had previously worked for a large contractor who do a lot of the new build developments around here before going solo.
They typically would first fix a standard 3 bed house in 4 days. Second fix and testing for certification taking another 2 or 3 depending on spec.
They didnt see point in rushing normally because they were usually on a price per house rate depending on size, and there was always a week allocated for the electricians in the schedule, so they could take upto 5 days for first fix before the other trades got held up. they had another 3 or 4 allocated for the 2nd fix. So always had capacity for slight over runs
With some builders they plan out the job poorly and things are always being moved around. it often shows in the final finish of things like skirting and decoration within the property as the customer doesnt see the wiring.

Most new builds these days are fast fix boxes , fine for switches but after a few months of pulling plug tops in / out from 13a sockets they start to break the plaster around the wings.
Then looks dog rough

I've never ever had any problems like that with dry lining boxes, always use Appleby, maybe the different lug design helps avoid such issues ?

Yes definitely the best way Anthony, and make them a tight fit in the plasterboard so there's no movement.

All the large builders eg Barratts, Redrow, Persimmon etc that I used to deal with had the plasterboard skimmed. Maybe it's more a regional thing?

up until recently a lot of the social housing built by the large developers around here had just lining paper on the plaster boards then a quick splash of emulsion. saved a few hundred on each property, they were built to bare acceptable standard as part of the planning requirements. has been some improvement of late with the air flow tests amongst other things requiring things to be sealed up well.

The last big Barrett site I worked on was just taped joints and filled/painted. Not a drop of skim plaster touched a single wall.
But other sites I previously worked on got a skim of plaster

Reply to Large builders in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock