Discuss Laser Pointer Class IIIb in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently acquired a laser pointer.

It is green, take 2 AAA and states it is less than 500mw, and is class III. Is there a way to establish exactly how powerful this is and also, obviously I wont be pointing it at any planes as Im not a complete mug, but is there an easy way to test the range and are the legal?

Find a straight beach and go down at night and try and hit a van with the pointer several miles away.

Little hint they usually reach over 8,000 meters

dude, where's the nearest beach in london lol. But yeah that might be a feasible solution. I read upto 20 miles, I think theres a difference if your standing at the laser or if the laser is being pointed at you..

Pretty fun stuff tho,

if you can receive radio 1 on it, then it's definitely illegal.

You dont have your location on your post or your profile.

I have a 10mile beach only 20 mins away from me, but clearly a lot further away from you.

Out of interest why do you want to try it? They reach one hell of a distance and you will never get an idea of how far they actually reach as you will never find anywhere with a long enough straight run to test them unless you go to a desert (but that beats the object)

well i got it from magaluf, from these trustworthy guys that also sell genuine(!) porsche and ferari watches at 4am. it was only about £7 and the novelty hasnt worn off yet.
Sorry for not having a location, I have been slacking in filling out my details but london is me.
fun by getting my cat to go mad chasing it around the garden, shining it through a mates window, also has an attachment to make huge patterns on it....I feel like a big boy with a toy give it a week and itll be in the bottom of a draw somewhere.

Also I would give it to my sister as she likes the patterns (she is 8) but I think as it is class IIIb it could have some bad effects on people and animals' eyes alike.

Also its great for when you been commiting grand theft auto and need the helicopters off your back...

ultinator - out of interest how old are you?

and can a mod move this to chit chat page???

ha yes thank you for that, tried and succeeded many times. I'm not sure why that is particularly relevant. There is more than one way to have fun, the world is a big place for small minds I'm sure.

Im 23, and I agree this isnt really a relevant place for such this thread....can I delete these?

Just let a mod move it - I think you need to go get some work done and get some money in and stop spending it on a toy that a child would buy to play silly buggers with the teacher - Im only 26 and I don't have one!

Ok then.
Well it was cheap so its only like 30mins work - no problem.
I am working and am happy with it too - no problem.
My A-level physics teacher had a fascination with lasers except the ones in the lab were bigger and better - no problem.
What's the deal with people being uninterested by the awe of the universe, yet affixed to the mundaneness of an existence we call life?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok then.
Well it was cheap so its only like 30mins work - no problem.
I am working and am happy with it too - no problem.
My A-level physics teacher had a fascination with lasers except the ones in the lab were bigger and better - no problem.
What's the deal with people being uninterested by the awe of the universe, yet affixed to the mundaneness of an existence we call life?

Just let a mod move it - I think you need to go get some work done and get some money in and stop spending it on a toy that a child would buy to play silly buggers with the teacher - Im only 26 and I don't have one!

Sounds like Jealousy to me lol

I want one and I am thirty?????????? hang on a minute?????? Four, yep I am 34 I remember now :D

Got a f***ing cat outside non stop meowing right now, if anything I could feel satisfied for cheering the little f***er up...... Or blinding it!

Say, I'm in Bristol. Do you want to test the range of that thing? Turn it on and shine it my way and I'll let you know if the cat stops:thumbsup

Well the cat stopped but I couldn't see a green dot anywhere? Nice work, nice quick work there... Very quick lol

Reply to Laser Pointer Class IIIb in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock