Discuss Lazy or dangerous in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have just disconnected a 3p compressor on a 16mm armoured but inside the isolator each phase was on connectors then dropped to 2.5mm flex
And connected.looks like they struggled to terminate. Is this just lazy and bad practise or dangerous ,32amp compresser.

Have you a photo?

The 16mm might sized in relation to volt drop and distance, etc, but ideally would go in to the switch terminals directly.

Is it 2.5mm flex to the actual compressor? That seems rather small for a 32A load even if 90C rated. Is that the load or the MCB feeding it? Do you know the motor's running current or HP rating?

Sorry dont know the motor rating as its inside the comp,16mm direct from switch panel to isolator 3 x gg 32a fuses inside an isolator.i should have took photos. To me the cable is sized for a design reason and putting a flex into connnectors and then the load side is wrong, so it comes out of the isolator into 2.5 then back to 16mm to the motor.
Wouldnt that build up resistance?

Some resistance, but I would be more worried by it overheating.

It is possible the 32A fuses are several times the running current of the motor, and/or it might have a starter that has additional overload protection, but it still seems rather thin to me.

Reply to Lazy or dangerous in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I'm practising EICRs on friendly locations as I'm still in training - technically done my 2391-52 but frankly need loads more practise. I've just...
Replies
Views
Good evening all, I’m currently part way through my apprenticeship and we are working on IB, IN, IZ and IT and volt drop today. And it got me...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I have been asked to take over a job an electrician has started, and has moved abroad. The house is a big mansion, with a 3PH supply...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have been asked to install individual three-phase supplies for a band saw and table saw. Having trouble figuring out the correct cable...
Replies
Views
I don't "do" solar, but I've been asked to comment on an aspect of a new domestic solar installation by others. There is no overload or fault...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock