Discuss Lead Gas Pipe in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for your help.
Do the local wholesalers do them or would you source them from the internet? I've done a quick search on Google and couldn't see anything suitable.

It is Lead all the way to the entry point into the house and is then lost until it exists at the boiler(now copper). l really need to bond it at the Gas supply. Thanks for your help. I will check with the wholesaler. If anyone sees a link to something suitable I would really appreciate it. Fingers crossed

It is Lead all the way to the entry point into the house and is then lost until it exists at the boiler(now copper). l really need to bond it at the Gas supply. Thanks for your help. I will check with the wholesaler. If anyone sees a link to something suitable I would really appreciate it. Fingers crossed

I'm not aware of any problem using your normal type of clamp on a lead pipe. The wall of a lead pipe is quite thick, so I can't see it distorting much by fitting a clamp to it. I've certainly not had a problem doing this.

Just make sure that the lead is nice & clean first by brushing with a wire brush / steel wool.

An old gas lead pipe is certainly not as thick walled as the old lead water pipes, simply because of the pressure both services work at.

What I have done in the past is get a piece of perhaps 2 or 3 inches long, say a 25mm copper pipe, or a size near to the lead one, and cut it in half, place the 2 pieces around the lead pipe and then fitted a BS 951 clamp over the copper part.

An old gas lead pipe is certainly not as thick walled as the old lead water pipes, simply because of the pressure both services work at.

What I have done in the past is get a piece of perhaps 2 or 3 inches long, say a 25mm copper pipe, or a size near to the lead one, and cut it in half, place the 2 pieces around the lead pipe and then fitted a BS 951 clamp over the copper part.

I have to say that I have never found a thin walled lead pipe in more than 20 years & gas work was my main thing with electrics coming a close second.

That said, I like your method of using a piece of copper over the lead. :)

I was under the impression you can't connect bonding clamps to lead pipe, as lead is flexible it will be a loose connectioin after a couple of years. I would be connecting to first available solid pipe.

Or as the guiding (!) regulations allow, bond at the boiler if thats the next convenient point. Sounds like the lead bit is 'inconvenient' unless you can get a posh clamp as suggested.

Reply to Lead Gas Pipe in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net