Discuss Lead sheathed telephone cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Have come across loads of redundant lead cable in old houses but can’t remember telephone cable..
that said when pulling out old lead cable From under floors I have never really looked at the cores.

There's quite a bit of it running about outside buildings here, fixed with those nails with the strip of lead on top.

I also have some old rubber phone cable with a braided covering, the rubber insulation was perished badly on the parts that were run outside the shop where I found this, the internal bits were a bit better, so I kept some to add with all the other old useless crap I hoard here.
Lead sheathed telephone cable Braided Phone - EletriciansForums.net

At one time, most outdoor multicore telephone cable, apart from bare wire on insulators, was lead-sheathed. From single-pair double-cotton insulated up to thousands of pairs with paper insulation the jacket was lead, and where jointed inline or in boxes the joints would be gas-tight. They could be works of art and sometimes the jointer would put his name in the lead.

Back in the day, many houses had bare dropwires from the DP, so the only lead that would be needed was from there to the surge arrestor or junction box. But in flats, you might have a 20-pair lead coming into the basement, then a couple of 10-pairs going to the landings and single pairs going to the individual flats.

Other industries used the same cable extensively. A while back I had to repair one of the cables running from the console to the relay of a pipe organ, made up of a dozen 20-pair lead-sheathed 26SWG DCC phone cables. The very edge of one cable had been pinched by some wall panels and a couple of cores shorted. Beautiful cable from the 1930s, don't know who made it but the insulation and construction was of the finest quality and I felt privileged to handle it. I think it's still in use.

Reply to Lead sheathed telephone cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock