• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Leak in kitchen, no lights old fuse wire in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm after some advice. Last week we had really heavy rain and it leaked in through me kitchen roof. On the inside of that roof I have a chrome bar light with 4 spots. The morning after there was a bang, the fuse had gone on my lights (old electric meter, still on the old fuse wire) . I changed the fuse wire and same thing happened. I assumed this was down to the rain and so I have managed with no lights for over a week, allowing time to dry out. Replaced fuse wire again today and once again, it's blown. Taken light away from ceiling to check there is no water in the rose. All seems dry and all light switches are switched off. Does anybody have any ideas what is going wrong. I'm not even switching any lights on when it's blowing. So there shouldn't be any electricity to any lights. Any help will be appreciated. Also, laymans terms would be super

It depends how your circuits have been wired. Old property may have a looped live at the ceiling rose, meaning there's power there even if the switch is off.
If water has got to there, it wont matter which position the switch is in - on or off - there can be a problem.

Also to think that water can find its way down any route, so even if you don't see it, it may have run along the top of the ceiling and down the wall to the switch, or another point.

My advice, and the advice of most on the forum, will be to get a qualified electrician in, who has the right test equipment to find where the problem is.

If the fitting is dry then in laymens terms you have a very large persistant fault that you're going to need test equipment to find.

Sometimes water can cause an initial flash and the carbon it leaves can cause future flashing even after the water has dried out.

Please don't replace the fuse wire again, it might cause more damage or even be as fire hazard. You're going to have to get a sparky in who can find the fault with test equipment.

i cover some of manchester. preferably the south and west side.

My theory is that the leak was just a coincedence ! a furfy !
And you have other problems in your wiring such as a short circuit from damaged wiring or fittings. You may well be over your head, time to call an electrician in ?

The problem may be quite simple. Water may have pooled in a junction box in loft for example and is not able to drain out. This would take quite some time to dry as you can imagine.

As others have said you need someone with test equipment to sort this.

Agree with marvo, don't replace the fuse wire again. Every time you do you are energising a faulty circuit and could be causing more damage.

Check the competant persons website for a qualified electrician or use teletrix if he is in your area.
We can vouch for him hear on the forum as competant.

Reply to Leak in kitchen, no lights old fuse wire in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock