Discuss Leakage meter usage/selection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi. I have a question about earth leakage meter usage/selection.

I see that people say one should test the live wires not the earth for reasons you guys probably understand. However earth leakage meters with large Jaws to loop around both tails are much more expensive.

Can I use a combination of insulation resistance testing and earth leakage testing on the earth to achieve the functionally equivalent result? I'm also assuming I'd have to test the fixed wiring and pat test the device.

I only started thinking about this but it seems reasonable so far apart from...

What if the device I'm pat testing has internal switching and the earth leakage only occurs intermittently?

Also any tips on what I should purchase are welcome.

Thanks

It’s ok to clamp on the Earth conductor,check the leakage.
Also practical to measure on large installation,then using ohms law,to give an insulation resistance measurement on the whole installation

Not all the leakage that leads to rcd tripping will necessarily be flowing on the earth. It could be travelling through the ground for this reason leakage should be measured by the difference between current on live conductors.

However one could first check insulation resistance of fixed wiring and appliances then check earth conductor current. This would only work if we could check insulation resistance of appliances something I don't see as actually possible because of internal switches.

If you clamp line & neutral together, then clamp earth separately, you will often get different values. Always clamp L&N together, as this will give you the value the RCD is using (assuming both RCD and clamp meter are accurate)

If you clamp line & neutral together, then clamp earth separately, you will often get different values. Always clamp L&N together, as this will give you the value the RCD is using (assuming both RCD and clamp meter are accurate)

Yes,and it is worth mentioning that the characteristics of the supply,will affect how and where,you are testing.

Thanks guys.

I guess I'll be investing in megger dcm300e then. I'm really surprised that there's so many smaller versions on the market when really you need the larger Jaws to get the job done.

Peg- what characteristics are you referring to exactly? Is this something to do with earthing arrangements and number of conductors? I've thought about that. Anything missing?

Reply to Leakage meter usage/selection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock