Discuss LeapFrog Ring - What is it and why? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Watching Dave Savery video 9
and people saying it's a LeapFrog Ring - still not getting it and why?
also a drawing would help :)
See #14 for video as link failed in first post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant see the video, but when wiring rings in singles through conduit, it was common to wire instead of to the next socket, but miss one - wiring through Otherwise you would have one leg going to the end of the ring. If there were any faults or problems later, it would be easier to rewire one of these sections.
Not heard it called a leap frog ring before but assume this is what you mean.

Cant see the video, but when wiring rings in singles through conduit, it was common to wire instead of to the next socket, but miss one - wiring through Otherwise you would have one leg going to the end of the ring. If there were any faults or problems later, it would be easier to rewire one of these sections. Not heard it called a leap frog ring before but assume this is what you mean.

Attachments

• LeapFrog Ring - What is it and why? IMG_0886 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0886.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 33
Doesn't appear to be a video linked.

However my understanding of a leapfrog ring is the more standard way on trunking/conduit systems - when I started anyhow.
Two basic ways - imagine 10 sockets in a row away from the dist board

1) Long way around
From DB to skt1, then skt2, skt3...skt9, skt10 -> return to DB

Pulling the final cable is awkward, its a long run and difficult to do at the same time as the others as all the bends etc, working out the correct length etc

2) Loop method (Leapfrog)
From DB to skt1 (plus DB to skt2), skt1 to skt3 (plus skt2 to skt4), .... skt9 to skt10

All short runs, no wasted cable etc

basically all the odd numbers on 1 leg, and all the even numbers on the other leg. balanced, :)but not necessarily in the right order:):).

Ok thanks, but if your going round a room in a Ring seems like more cable? this is what someone people have said - might have to draw it out my self to make it clear in my head.

Not sure what's wrong with the youtube link is it just me?

I think the idea is for setups with a lot of loads that are more than one ring can comfortably handle (or when you need it balance it between supply phases). So if you had a dozen loads plugged in at one corner of a factory, etc, they are split evenly and not all on a ring for just that area with other rings not being loaded much.

Balances each leg of the ring to prevent overload on one leg. Can also be done with T&E.

Ok thanks, but if your going round a room in a Ring seems like more cable? this is what someone people have said - might have to draw it out my self to make it clear in my head.

Not sure what's wrong with the youtube link is it just me?

If you're going around a room then it is more cable, but if you are going out in one direction (physical direction - Not the modern rock combo) and having to come back the same way it's the same amount of cable - but harder to do in conduit, so you overestimate the length of cable to be sure and end up wasting it, hence short cable pulls is the better way to go.

Indeed, it is mainly applicable when both legs of a ring run side by side along a single route, not when going around a room with a single run of cable all the way. Imagine a run of trunking or conduit along a long wall in a building, with sockets equally spaced along it and the DB at one end. If all the sockets are connected in one outward run with a long return leg, i.e. the last socket is at the halfway point along the total cable length, then even if the load is evenly spread along the sockets the currents will be unbalanced. The long return leg behaves like a series resistor, enouraging well over half the current, possibly 3/4 depending on exact cable lengths, to take the shorter route. By leapfrogging, the sockets are evenly spaced along the full length of cable so an evenly distributed load will be equally shared between the two legs.

Last edited:
Cant see the video, but when wiring rings in singles through conduit, it was common to wire instead of to the next socket, but miss one - wiring through Otherwise you would have one leg going to the end of the ring. If there were any faults or problems later, it would be easier to rewire one of these sections.
Not heard it called a leap frog ring before but assume this is what you mean.
No nor me.

Reply to LeapFrog Ring - What is it and why? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock