Discuss Leaving the forces, need help... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm leaving the Navy after 6 years service as a Weapons engineer, (electrical technician in normal language) and I'm finding out my options and how to best use my Electrical experience and qualifications (NVQ Lv 2, not much I know) for when I leave. I'm looking for help on the following point and any info or which thread is best for me is appreciated

Through my resettlemt I will complete the 18th edition and another 4 week course which earns me a "NAPIT 7232-(5) Full Scope Certificate of Competence, I can't find much info on this cert though online so I'm wondering if anyone could shed light on this and what it actually is?

Through what I've read and researched online I'm unsure into what Job titles I'd be relevent for? So far I believe I'm going more for the Electrician Mate/ Improver role.

My ultimate end goal is to be a gol.d card sparky and I would appreciate any help on how to get on the ladder towards that :)
also what thread is best for this sort of question?

Ronan

contact local college, see what level of the c&g 2365 you can get on. there's level 2 then level 3. after L3 it's AM2 and NVQ3 to get the gold card.

contact local college, see what level of the c&g 2365 you can get on. there's level 2 then level 3. after L3 it's AM2 and NVQ3 to get the gold card.
Appreciate the advice but I'm 24 so not earning a wage isn't viable... This is where my uncertainness come in as I'm not sure what role I'm qualified for

colleges do courses evenings so you can still keep your day job. without a sponsor though, you would need to fund the college course/s yourself.

I'd be getting back in the RN if I were you... play with those nice new ships !

Anyway... don't you get a 'training allowance' once you leave ?

I'd be getting back in the RN if I were you... play with those nice new ships !

Anyway... don't you get a 'training allowance' once you leave ?
I've done the nice new ships and the magic wares of quick haha... We do, that's the resettlement I mention, the resettlement funding has been cut to within an inch of its life so there's not a lot going

Alright mate,

I’ve been down this path so let me try and help you.

The 7232-(5) is a C&G accredited certificate of competence that is valid for 5 years. It’s for people that got experience from old but may not have the lv3 NVQ and need to prove competence in electrical installation / inspecting & testing to join a scheme.

I used it, along with prior qualifications and experience (Army Marine Engineer, 20 years working a lot of 3phase and P&D onboard), to set up on my own a couple of years ago and then joined NAPIT, as you need to be in one of the schemes to carry out the bigger jobs that pay well and notify your own work.

How much exposure do you get to 3P and HV as a WE? As that will be of benefit & Your lv2 will stand you in good stead and give you a platform to build on. Is it not worth staying in a few more years, and getting your lv3? Or you seriously had enough?

I recommend checking out building heroes too, it’s a free building course that’s charity funded for service leavers. You’ll learn lots is skills and techniques that come in handy, especially when you’re knocking holes in people’s houses and need to make good afterwards.

Try not to be phased by it all, I know it’s daunting when leaving the forces but you’ll be ok!!! You have a skill set and unique attributes that you don’t even realise you have, that a lot of employers like and want.

The people on here are really friendly and have a wealth of knowledge that they’re willing to share, so don’t be scared of asking questions.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you’ve got about leaving the service or resettlement, I’m always happy to help.

Alright mate,

I’ve been down this path so let me try and help you.

The 7232-(5) is a C&G accredited certificate of competence that is valid for 5 years. It’s for people that got experience from old but may not have the lv3 NVQ and need to prove competence in electrical installation / inspecting & testing to join a scheme.

I used it, along with prior qualifications and experience (Army Marine Engineer, 20 years working a lot of 3phase and P&D onboard), to set up on my own a couple of years ago and then joined NAPIT, as you need to be in one of the schemes to carry out the bigger jobs that pay well and notify your own work.

How much exposure do you get to 3P and HV as a WE? As that will be of benefit & Your lv2 will stand you in good stead and give you a platform to build on. Is it not worth staying in a few more years, and getting your lv3? Or you seriously had enough?

I recommend checking out building heroes too, it’s a free building course that’s charity funded for service leavers. You’ll learn lots is skills and techniques that come in handy, especially when you’re knocking holes in people’s houses and need to make good afterwards.

Try not to be phased by it all, I know it’s daunting when leaving the forces but you’ll be ok!!! You have a skill set and unique attributes that you don’t even realise you have, that a lot of employers like and want.

The people on here are really friendly and have a wealth of knowledge that they’re willing to share, so don’t be scared of asking questions.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you’ve got about leaving the service or resettlement, I’m always happy to help.
Cheers mate, thanks for the info! I'll PM you tomorrow at some point!

Evening guys, currently in a similar situation (12 years done potentially bit more resettlement) but didn't want to just start a new thread if this one was still live and if any further information had developed for OP?
Many Thanks
Sean

The adverts look better than the ---- sandwich. As a former bootneck I know ?

to the OP (well the most recent one) have you got enhanced learning credits, these can be used for any level 3 or higher course!!!

I already have a level 3 (extended diploma in engineering maintenance (electronic)) got my ELC SLC etc. Just wondering where this will get me if anywhere haha. And if any further guidance was given if not I may start my own thread. Thanks for your reply though

I already have a level 3 (extended diploma in engineering maintenance (electronic)) got my ELC SLC etc. Just wondering where this will get me if anywhere haha. And if any further guidance was given if not I may start my own thread. Thanks for your reply though
You can use SLC’s with the forum sponsor XSTraining to complete the NVQ3, and as you probably know through the ELCAS website you can search for course providers. There are quite a few suitable course providers on there, which can get you on track with 2365 etc

You can use SLC’s with the forum sponsor XSTraining to complete the NVQ3, and as you probably know through the ELCAS website you can search for course providers. There are quite a few suitable course providers on there, which can get you on track with 2365 etc
Yeah so this is where my confusion lies. We have the NAPIT qualification we can do through resettlement. Coupled with a separate NVQ3. As well as 18th edition (amongst some others) is the general consensus, these are useless without NVQ 2357?

Yeah so this is where my confusion lies. We have the NAPIT qualification we can do through resettlement. Coupled with a separate NVQ3. As well as 18th edition (amongst some others) is the general consensus, these are useless without NVQ 2357?
Depends what you want... if you want to just set up on your own, house bash, (domestic work) then essentially all that course teaches you is to do that, however it won’t teach you hell of a lot required to install effectively in people’s homes, and depending how much practical experience you have, this is a massive limiting factor on the other side. If you say completed C&G 2356 2 and 3, followed it up with the NVQ3 and AM2. Then there’s not much more you would ever need on paper. Along that path if you got a job as a mate, ideally for any sized company with the scope of work to gain the experience needed. Then at the end of it you would be in a far better position.

Depends what you want... if you want to just set up on your own, house bash, (domestic work) then essentially all that course teaches you is to do that, however it won’t teach you hell of a lot required to install effectively in people’s homes, and depending how much practical experience you have, this is a massive limiting factor on the other side. If you say completed C&G 2356 2 and 3, followed it up with the NVQ3 and AM2. Then there’s not much more you would ever need on paper. Along that path if you got a job as a mate, ideally for any sized company with the scope of work to gain the experience needed. Then at the end of it you would be in a far better position.
My intention is ideally to go on to do site spark and with enough knowledge to do my own domestic stuff from time to time and getting it ticked off by a proper domestic spark.

Have you looked on the JIB site for requirements for gold card? If not then obviously do so. Is it gold card because it sounds good or a well thought out career move. It seems as if you want to do domestic wiring. If you bored after six years doing the job you did, then I think you will die of boredom after three years doing domestic. Consider commercial and domestic. Domestic is horrible! People don't want to pay you what your worth. You have to sometime work in filthy conditions. If you do social housing you will find that really it is not at all social, quite the opposite. I suppose the thing to do is try to get mates work by advertising as improver in electrical wholesalers and on here. But you won't like it methinks. Commercial is much better cleaner environment, better paid, more interesting and varied work and you don't have to deal with people all the time. Take a look at this link as point of information of a map in the electrical trade. It details exactly what is required from the de facto authority on the matter. It should help you to spend your scant money wisely. Sounds like a five year licence would be a waste of money to me. Five years passes fast.
Best of British mate!

Have you looked on the JIB site for requirements for gold card? If not then obviously do so. Is it gold card because it sounds good or a well thought out career move. It seems as if you want to do domestic wiring. If you bored after six years doing the job you did, then I think you will die of boredom after three years doing domestic. Consider commercial and domestic. Domestic is horrible! People don't want to pay you what your worth. You have to sometime work in filthy conditions. If you do social housing you will find that really it is not at all social, quite the opposite. I suppose the thing to do is try to get mates work by advertising as improver in electrical wholesalers and on here. But you won't like it methinks. Commercial is much better cleaner environment, better paid, more interesting and varied work and you don't have to deal with people all the time. Take a look at this link as point of information of a map in the electrical trade. It details exactly what is required from the de facto authority on the matter. It should help you to spend your scant money wisely. Sounds like a five year licence would be a waste of money to me. Five years passes fast.
Best of British mate!
Spot on that thanks pal. I think you've got the 2 posters slightly muddled but your information is still valid and helpful.
I think I'll have to start my own thread to avoid this problem and maybe get my intention/information across clearly.
Thank you to you both for your help and information though it's been useful and appreciated. Now to try and dig through the weird and wonderful wording that is ECS website haha!

Reply to Leaving the forces, need help... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock