Discuss Leaving the military to become an electrician. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steve_b_222

Good evening.

Im looking for some help. I'm leaving the military and I wish to get qualified to become an electrician. I'm in a rather good position where by the courses required will be partially funded. Please could you tell
me where I would sit if I were to complete the following:

• Full Scope “Certificate of Competence”
  • C&G 2393 Building Regulations Level 3
  • C&G 2382 17th Edition Wiring Regulations Level 3
  • JIB ECS Health & Safety Certificate.
  • City & Guilds Initial Verification Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations

Any help would really be appreciated. I realise I would have no experience and would eventually be labouring to begin with, but would the above be attractive to an employer? Is there anything extra that would be required?

sorry mate. but that smacks of a mickey mouse 5 week course. you need c&g 2365 levels 2 and 3, am2 and nvq3 , this will take 2 - 3 years college, with practical hands on experience and assessment.

sorry mate. but that smacks of a mickey mouse 5 week course. you need c&g 2365 levels 2 and 3, am2 and nvq3 , this will take 2 - 3 years college, with practical hands on experience and assessment.

Hmmm. I thought something seemed odd. When I mentioned the fact that it was so short to the careers advisor the response I received was that it's an intensive course. What exactly is this course useful for as nothing you listed is even included!

Sounds like the military have been brainwashed by the rip off training centres.
There is no way that package will get you where you want to be in the electrical industry. Insist on a level of qualification recognised by the JIB to grade you as an electrician.

as a military man you should understand this analogy. 6 weeks of initial basic training teaches you to march in step and obey orders. it does not make you a front line combat soldier.

Hi Steve

I am Ex Army (RE) and I will agree with what the two guys above said, those packages are worthless. You have two options to becoming qualified, which are;

#4 year Apprenticeship on the 2357 NVQ (Full qualification). For this you will need to find employment as an Apprentice and enroll on a 4 year college course.

or

#The Electrical Improver route which involves completing these three qualifications in this order;

1. Level 2 City & Guilds Diploma in Electrical Installation (2365)
2. Level 3 City & Guilds Diploma in Electrical Installation (2365)
3. Level 3 City & Guilds NVQ Diploma in Electrical Installation (2357-44) Portfolio and AM2 only. You need to be in employment for the 2357.

Good luck

Neil

Many thabks i really appreciate that. I have been collecting as much information as I can on the required courses so I can go into the learning centre armed with all the info.

It seems that the only course on offer that may be worth taking is a 2365 level three which is a 35 day intensive course. Does this seek about right? I still don't have the level 2 so it's not really of any use even if it is any good.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you can go straight in to the level3, that's your main core qualification. i'd be wary of not doing level 2 first if you have no prior knowledge. eodneil is the best one to advise, as he runs courses. see post #6.

Reply to Leaving the military to become an electrician. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net