Discuss LED Bulbs not dimming in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MikeWindsor

Hi All

I have 6 GU10 downlighters that are on a single gang dimmer and works fine with normal 50w lamps. However I recently changed these to 3x3w LED dimmable lamps. But now if you turn the power down the lamps just flicker on and off !

I went to my local retailer and bought an LED dimmer but when I changed to this the lamps still flicker on and off !

Would be grateful for any suggestions its driving me mad!

Thanks
Mike

You need a dimmer which is capable of dimming down to 5w, try IQ or LEDlite led dimmers from TLC

Thanks Tazz I bought these from TLC they are LEDlite Downlight Dimmer module , P65 of the catalogue 250W each , should I have bought something different ?
Many thanks
Mike

Are your lamps the dimmable type, not all are!

Hi guys, sorry my mistake the lamps are MR16 not GU10 !
Just been reading some more info on dimming and it seems my drivers may not be compatible with LED lamps ! Starting to wonder if its worth it ! Ive got 26 downlighters already spent a lot on the lamps, then ÂŁ100 for 8 dimmer modules now 26 x ÂŁ5 for TLC LEDlite driver plus time to fit 26 drivers means about ÂŁ350+ for the conversion to LED ! Will I really save that much on my electric bill !

Hi guys, sorry my mistake the lamps are MR16 not GU10 !
Just been reading some more info on dimming and it seems my drivers may not be compatible with LED lamps ! Starting to wonder if its worth it ! Ive got 26 downlighters already spent a lot on the lamps, then ÂŁ100 for 8 dimmer modules now 26 x ÂŁ5 for TLC LEDlite driver plus time to fit 26 drivers means about ÂŁ350+ for the conversion to LED ! Will I really save that much on my electric bill !
You should have consulted a competent spark before spending money as I fear your money may not have been spent wisely!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Murdoch that's really helpful !

Thanks Murdoch that's really helpful !
Converting 12v lamps to LED's is always an expensive route and I never recommend it. too many parts to go wrong, then theres dimmers to consider...... but I think you know this!

convert to GU10s, then flog the drivers and MR16s.

thanks telectrix I think I will go down to TLC and speak to the guys to see what is the most cost effective way to do this, hopefully they will take back the dimmers as I only opened one to trial it !

If I have 26 x 50w bulbs = 1.3Kw x average use say 4hours p/day =5.2kwh p/day x 12.35p what I pay per khw = ÂŁ0.64 per day x 365 = ÂŁ234.40 so in two years I would have my money back!

thank you, will do, I may even consult my fully qualified Yoda !

Maybe you should have come clean about you undertaking electrical training.........

Reply to LED Bulbs not dimming in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock