Discuss LED bulbs of same brand wont work together but do if paired with different bulb. I dont get it. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

efonz24

DIY
Reaction score
I just finished painting a bedroom and replaced the LED lights that were previously to small for the recessed cans with bigger LED lights of the appropriate size. While painting I only had 2 of the 4 new LED lights installed plus another LED light of a different size and left the other one empty. Everything worked fine before i replaced lights and while I was painting with mismatched light bulbs...

I finish painting and because the new LED bulbs were sticking out too much I adjusted the wing nut on every can replaced the coil springs and installed the 4 LED bulbs together for the first time. I turn the lights on (dimmer) and all 4 lights are on limp mode and seem to have a small pulse almost like a slow heart beat not a flash per say but the light gets slightly brighter than retreats. I replace one of the new LED bulbs with a different brand LED bulb i think its called A19 or something its the standard round shaped not meant for recessed lighting and i turn the lights on and they work. I swap around the lights but I cant get all 4 new LED bulbs to work correctly. They wont work if there are 3 installed leaving one empty but will work if install 3 plus anothe random light. The problem does not reside with one particular bulb.

why?

I just finished painting a bedroom and replaced the LED lights that were previously to small for the recessed cans with bigger LED lights of the appropriate size. While painting I only had 2 of the 4 new LED lights installed plus another LED light of a different size and left the other one empty. Everything worked fine before i replaced lights and while I was painting with mismatched light bulbs...

I finish painting and because the new LED bulbs were sticking out too much I adjusted the wing nut on every can replaced the coil springs and installed the 4 LED bulbs together for the first time. I turn the lights on (dimmer) and all 4 lights are on limp mode and seem to have a small pulse almost like a slow heart beat not a flash per say but the light gets slightly brighter than retreats. I replace one of the new LED bulbs with a different brand LED bulb i think its called A19 or something its the standard round shaped not meant for recessed lighting and i turn the lights on and they work. I swap around the lights but I cant get all 4 new LED bulbs to work correctly. They wont work if there are 3 installed leaving one empty but will work if install 3 plus anothe random light. The proublem does not reside with one particular bulb.

why?
Efonz24@ probably the easiest thing to do is go to home depot and buy a new dimmer for LED’S. It’s probably going bad because you said the more load you put on that switch it made it the worse. Good look
[automerge]1570751871[/automerge]

I finish painting and because the new LED bulbs were sticking out too much I adjusted the wing nut on every can replaced the coil springs and installed the 4 LED bulbs together for the first time. I turn the lights on (dimmer) and all 4 lights are on limp mode and seem to have a small pulse almost like a slow heart beat not a flash per say but the light gets slightly brighter than retreats. I replace one of the new LED bulbs with a different brand LED bulb i think its called A19 or something its the standard round shaped not meant for recessed lighting and i turn the lights on and they work. I swap around the lights but I cant get all 4 new LED bulbs to work correctly. They wont work if there are 3 installed leaving one empty but will work if install 3 plus anothe random light. The problem does not reside with one particular bulb.

why?
@efon how about letting us know if that’s the problem, I had to change mine a couple of months ago and sorry for the spelling

Last edited:
well right now i have 3 of the new LED's I bought along with another one and everything works as it should. I checked the led bulbs i bought and they are ecosmart from home depot each one is rated 12W (48W in total assuming all 4 installed) The thing i dont understand because I also thought perhaps the room is wired along with another room or appliance and I am overloading the circuit but that cant be true because the 3 LED's i have now at 12w each is 36w plus the fourth bulb that is rated 17w is 53w in total and it is working just fine. so the situation doesnt get worse as the load increases and it isnt a problem related to just one bulb, the problem only happens when all 4 are installed.

for reference the leds i had in that room previously were all rated at 9v each for a total of 36w total and they too worked without issue.

I honestly dont know, please suggest someting I must be overlooking something. I wont be able to buy another dimmer until tomorrow. Might just grab a dimmer from another rooom before i buy another one.

maybe try replacing dimmer with a simple on/off switch or link it out. if they all 4 work then; it's a dimmer problemor the LEDs are not the dimmable variety.

well right now i have 3 of the new LED's I bought along with another one and everything works as it should. I checked the led bulbs i bought and they are ecosmart from home depot each one is rated 12W (48W in total assuming all 4 installed) The thing i dont understand because I also thought perhaps the room is wired along with another room or appliance and I am overloading the circuit but that cant be true because the 3 LED's i have now at 12w each is 36w plus the fourth bulb that is rated 17w is 53w in total and it is working just fine. so the situation doesnt get worse as the load increases and it isnt a problem related to just one bulb, the problem only happens when all 4 are installed.

for reference the leds i had in that room previously were all rated at 9v each for a total of 36w total and they too worked without issue.

I honestly dont know, please suggest someting I must be overlooking something. I wont be able to buy another dimmer until tomorrow. Might just grab a dimmer from another rooom before i buy another one.
Ive got to agree with @telectrix try a regular light switch and see if that fixes the problem. Not all LEDS are made to dim. When you go to homedepot explain the problem and buy a suitable dimmer switch because plain old regular dimmers won’t work right on LED light fixtures. Let us know we have some very knowledgeable people in this forum

I just wanr to say I am an idiot and that I do appreciate forums and their members they collectively are like the big brother I never had.

The LEDs i purchased are not dimmable lights, for some reason they do dim (without a flicker) so as long as at least one true dimmable light is installed on the same circuit.

I just wanr to say I am an idiot and that I do appreciate forums and their members they collectively are like the big brother I never had.

The LEDs i purchased are not dimmable lights, for some reason they do dim (without a flicker) so as long as at least one true dimmable light is installed on the same circuit.
@efon you are not an idiot and we are here for you anytime you need us. We like to hear how it turned out. I wish everyone was like you. Have a great day

Reply to LED bulbs of same brand wont work together but do if paired with different bulb. I dont get it. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock