Discuss LED Bulbs too bright - any ideas?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andyww

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi

I recently installed 4 decking lamps for a customer - the customer supplied the lamps which are IP 56 rated sealed units, with 2W super LED bulbs. The customer has called to say they are extremely bright and do I have any ideas for making them less so. (he attaches no blame to me as he supplied them) I cannot change bulbs as they are sealed units, they have a slightly concave glass lens which I wondered if there was anything that could be painted onto - maybe coloured varnish? Heat won't be a problem as they are 2W LED's.

Anyone have any ideas/experience of this??

Thanks
Andy

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
A

andyww

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Gerry - thought of that but the class is not flat so would be difficult/impossible to fix them - that's why I thought maybe a coloured varnish might do the same thing? I know you can get paint specifically for colouring glass

B

boatnik1

If you can get to the transformer supplying the bulb you could have a look to see if there any other taps on the transformer to either reduce the output voltage or move the input to a higher tapping. OR, solder a small wire wound resistor in series with the bulb supply. OR the amber glass paint from halfords or similar places for converting car headlamps to amber.

Just thought of another one. What about a dimmer on the supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

andyww

Thanks Boatnik1

Lamps are 240v run from a switched FCU so dimmer etc no good! - Looks like a trip to halfords......

Thanks for the suggestions

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Reply to LED Bulbs too bright - any ideas?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
Top Bottom