Discuss LED ceiling lights - I'm baffled in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
The customer has five small LED ceiling lights in their bathroom. Some of the lights stopped working. A previous electrician came and 'did some work' but could not resolve the matter. I've taken a look, and three lights have been removed. I assume these were the broken ones, and he took them to go and match a replacement. Two sre still functioning but are stuck and unable to be pulled out.

What is confusing me is where the lights have been removed; this is what the wiring looks like:

LED ceiling lights - I'm baffled Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 18.30.05 - EletriciansForums.net

LED ceiling lights - I'm baffled Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 18.30.39 - EletriciansForums.net

Can anyone help me understand what the **** is going on here? How could there possibly have been a functional LED light here if the neutral has never been tapped on one and is linked with live on the other?

I just did a flying visit as ladders are required to access so going off of visuals.

Last edited:
So this is the issue, the customer has no idea where the transformer is.
I'd get the old ones out, if they are only 40mm and they are truly stuck then you can work out where the joists are and drill out for larger replacements. (preferably 230v)
If one of the feeds doesn't end up pulling a transformer or mains supply cable within range, you can send up a camera and I normally start guessing where a ceiling rose probably was once.
Most are fitted appallingly and the transformer will be flapping around.

Reply to LED ceiling lights - I'm baffled in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock