Discuss LED COnversion Help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My kitchen has recessed fluorescent fixtures (36" T12's) in deep soffits around the ceiling . One group has (2) two lamp fixtures on a switch. The second group has (3) two lamp fixtures on a switch. The heat buildup over the years has ruined the plexi covers and caused the ballasts to drip tar. I'd like to convert the whole mess to single end LED T8s but am not sure how each set is wired. I've watched the conversion vids of a single fixture sitting on a bench and it's a piece of cake but trying to do these 'in place' is going to be a bear...so far, I haven't even been able to get the fixtures out but I'll succeed eventually....I hope. My question is: how do I wire these multiple fixtures? Do I run a hot and neutral to the power end of each tube in the first fixture, then jump from there to the power end of the second fixture? I'm assuming the hot leg of the switch is going to the first tube then jumping over to the second tube with the neutrals doing likewise. Help!!!!!:confused1: Oh, and to make matters worse, each fixture is in it's own soffit/box with 2x framing between. If I could see it diagrammed out, I could probably get it but all those wires feeding the ballast is confusing me. Maybe I need to cut everything loose, find the hot lead and go from there?

My kitchen has recessed fluorescent fixtures (36" T12's) in deep soffits around the ceiling . One group has (2) two lamp fixtures on a switch. The second group has (3) two lamp fixtures on a switch. The heat buildup over the years has ruined the plexi covers and caused the ballasts to drip tar. I'd like to convert the whole mess to single end LED T8s but am not sure how each set is wired. I've watched the conversion vids of a single fixture sitting on a bench and it's a piece of cake but trying to do these 'in place' is going to be a bear...so far, I haven't even been able to get the fixtures out but I'll succeed eventually....I hope. My question is: how do I wire these multiple fixtures? Do I run a hot and neutral to the power end of each tube in the first fixture, then jump from there to the power end of the second fixture? I'm assuming the hot leg of the switch is going to the first tube then jumping over to the second tube with the neutrals doing likewise. Help!!!!!:confused1: Oh, and to make matters worse, each fixture is in it's own soffit/box with 2x framing between. If I could see it diagrammed out, I could probably get it but all those wires feeding the ballast is confusing me. Maybe I need to cut everything loose, find the hot lead and go from there?
Skip when you start do 1 light fixture at a time and just use the same wiring that’s already there. Do not cut all the wiring loose at one time. I think you need to hire an electrician to help you install your lights but if you insist on taking this project on your self PLEASE MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF and then proceed. I’m sure it looks like a mess right now but without an electrician I’m sure you are confused because you are looking at it as the big picture and wanting to take all the lights out at one time but like I told you do 1 fixture at a time. I’m sure it’s going to be a pain in the butt to get the lights out of the ceiling but when you get one light out install a new fixture in its place and wire it back up. Inside the old lights you have a black and white wire on one end of the ballast which is where the power wires goes plus the ground which will not have no insulation on it and it should be attached to the fixture You will have 2 cables per light with 1 in and 1 out and the blacks stay together and the whites stay together except the last fixture on each switch which you should have 1 cable. With you being a DIY and you tear out all the lights at one time you will surely need an electrician. The new fixtures will have paper work with them with how to hook them up. Do the 2 lights first and then do the 3 lights last. Please let us know how you are doing and send pictures of before and after. Good luck and keep in touch

Reply to LED COnversion Help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net