Discuss LED Dimmable bulbs, having a NIGHTMARE!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gotmeanellie

HELP!!

Bought 9 led dimmable GU10's from LEDHut and they just keep blowing! We've got a new Varilight Led dimmer switch, 10 watt-110 watt, and when I put 8 of the lamps in everything fine. Put the full 9 in and it all blows. Originally one lamp blew so replaced it with an Osram and that's been fine no matter what. Been back today to put that new dimmer switch on, re checked every connection and did R1 R2 and ins. tests and all good. All 9 LEDHut lamps in and they came on, dimmed with the dimmer then went BANG and blew about 5 of the lamps!

I've emailed the company cos if you use any other bulb apart from theirs everything is fine and working. Pulling my hair out!
Any advice?? Please?? Just a little bit??!

got to be the lamps if the dimmer is suitable for LEDs. can't be anything else.

edit: just a thought. check that the LED lamps are 230V and not 110V designed for the U.S. market.

That's what I think, they must be ****! Really frustrating when you know and double checked everything to be ok. Grrrrrrr!

Must be a lamp problem...bad batch ?...wrongly labelled ? Just install good lamps and return the faulty. Easy. I don't think I would be looking for a wig!!

Ive heard many issues with LED lamps not lasting with LED dimmers, not sure why or where the issue lies whether it be poor lamp design or dimmer design but im avoiding dimmable LED's until i hear good reviews, I would suggest its the lamps as the market is still relatively new and many new companies are trying to jump on the band wagon....and in the rush to get on the market their products dont actually live up to their design. How much did the lamps cost you, PS i take it when you say you did insulation test we can take as gospel the lamps and dimmer were not tested too!

Ive heard many issues with LED lamps not lasting with LED dimmers, not sure why or where the issue lies whether it be poor lamp design or dimmer design but im avoiding dimmable LED's until i hear good reviews, I would suggest its the lamps as the market is still relatively new and many new companies are trying to jump on the band wagon....and in the rush to get on the market their products dont actually live up to their design. How much did the lamps cost you, PS i take it when you say you did insulation test we can take as gospel the lamps and dimmer were not tested too!

You mean you're suppossed to take the lamps out when IR testing?? Narrr, only jokin, too right they were all out! They cost about 8 quid each

I install JCC fireguard 7, similar to the haylers version but better.

They are dimmable on a normal dimmer, i have 8 in my lounge, look amazing and work well, i wont install led replacement lamps they are all rubbish!

You mean you're suppossed to take the lamps out when IR testing?? Narrr, only jokin, too right they were all out! They cost about 8 quid each
Id say £8 would get you a good quality 3 or 4watt lamp if your paying 8quid for a higher wattage then i fear its trying to undercut the market by using cheap electronics in the driver, but having said that depends on your discounts etc but you should know if the LED lamps are a recognised quality make or not and in this industry you get what you pay for.

try checking your dimmer switch, have you got a leading edge or a trailing edge dimmer ? to dimm led`s
you need to use a trailing edge dimmer, its all to do with the wave forms, only found out myself as was
going to install the led dimmable`s but after further investigation decided to go with normal 4w gu10

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, now here we have a problem! I've just re-checked, which I bloody did when I ordered it, but just seen that the dimmer is a leading edge, they reccommend a trailing edge! Shi*!

Says the man who works for LEDHut and is awaiting my bag of bulbs!! You live and learn eh?! Cheers to everyone whose time I've wasted:-------:

I have just done a job for a customer where I fitted 10 chrome gu10 downlights in a new garden room.
He supplied his own LED lamps bought off the internet from LEDhut.
He said they were dimmable and could I fit a dimmer switch. I did not have a dimmer on the van so I said I would fit an ordinary switch on for now and would return in a couple of days with a dimmer.
When we turned on the lights they went with a pop and took out the breaker. I quickly apologised and checked everything out but found no fault. One of the lamps had two black scorch marks on it I took this out and the remaining nine lights came on. Would this be the same as having the wrong type of dimmer fitted?
I have ordered a couple of lamps from LEDhut to replace the blown one and give them a spare. When I return with my trailing edge dimmer (many thanks for the post) do you think this will cure the problem. I am replacing the lamps out of my own pocket but at £9.00 a lamp I don't want to do it again.

I have just done a job for a customer where I fitted 10 chrome gu10 downlights in a new garden room.
He supplied his own LED lamps bought off the internet from LEDhut.
He said they were dimmable and could I fit a dimmer switch. I did not have a dimmer on the van so I said I would fit an ordinary switch on for now and would return in a couple of days with a dimmer.
When we turned on the lights they went with a pop and took out the breaker. I quickly apologised and checked everything out but found no fault. One of the lamps had two black scorch marks on it I took this out and the remaining nine lights came on. Would this be the same as having the wrong type of dimmer fitted?
I have ordered a couple of lamps from LEDhut to replace the blown one and give them a spare. When I return with my trailing edge dimmer (many thanks for the post) do you think this will cure the problem. I am replacing the lamps out of my own pocket but at £9.00 a lamp I don't want to do it again.

Mmmmm, very strange. I found that with a normal switch on the bulbs were ok, after I'd fitted the trailing edge dimmer all was good. I guess you need to double check that the bulbs are dimmable, still doesn't explain why they went pop with a normal switch though. I have my suspicions that their quality isn't that good as I put an Osram dimmable bulb in and no matter what dimmer switch combination I used that one always worked. They're not the cheapest on the net for nothing eh?!!

i have a job commin up soon and ive been recomended 3.5w gu10 style from wholesaler and you have to use this certain dimmer switch, which he says if it makes a buzz sound you have to turn a red dial on the dimmer to cure...

anyone know what im talking about . the one with small yellow chips on them.

Had a customer that put 9 Phillips Gu10 LED lamps up and they dim fine on a standard wilts plus/ GET ultimate dimmer

Also had 2 halers in the kitchen being dimmed from a Click dimmer, again worked fine

My guess is you need to use quality lamps and 'special LED dimmer switch' is just a buzzword

Reply to LED Dimmable bulbs, having a NIGHTMARE!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock