Discuss led dimming problem(dimming up and down by themself) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
recently done a job at a house
used the old cable and re routed to control 6 gu10 led dimmable downlights
and run in a new cable from the switch to another 3 downlights

the client wanted it controlled using a 2 gang dimmer when i left everything seemed to be working fine, got a phone call a fewdays later saying that lights were dimming by them self and dimming back up went back changed the dimmer another thought it might be beacause the first dimmer i bought was a cheap screwfix one(said it was capable of dimming gu10 leds) second one was a decent brand cant think for the life off me who though

so after changing that and yet again thinking i solved the problem get another phone call saying its dimming up and down got new phillips lamps instead of cheap ones still no change

what am i missing here???

Have you seen this for yourself? Do they go up to full brightness and down again. Sounds like some capacitive effect charging up then discharging through the lamp. Quite often the smallest amount of leakage can leave the dimmers appearing to be on. Perhaps if you put a snubber between the lives?

I have come accross this before a couple of years ago. If i remember rightly it was on a hamilton dimmer. Think i ended up putting a snubber accross the first light fitting, which solved the problem

Or it could of been a dummy load. Cant quite remember now o_O

Hey!
Starting off with the dimming error, it usually occurs due to issues with the power grid. If there is any sort of abnormal activity with your overall power grid it could affect the lighting in your home. To avoid this, try using switch dimmers as they could help in controlling the output of the light much more efficiently compared to standard dimmers. Click here to learn more about switch dimmers...

Hey!
Starting off with the dimming error, it usually occurs due to issues with the power grid. If there is any sort of abnormal activity with your overall power grid it could affect the lighting in your home. To avoid this, try using switch dimmers as they could help in controlling the output of the light much more efficiently compared to standard dimmers. Click here to learn more about switch dimmers...

Nonsense!

Just to check you are not using dimmers that can be programmed - by switching off then on again quickly. The VPro dimmer modules do this, which I think are in some dimmers that Screwfix sell. You know they are in programming mode because they dim up & down by themselves (to program min/max levels)! If I install these, I tell the customer about this, so they know what is happening.

Reply to led dimming problem(dimming up and down by themself) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock