Discuss LED dimming woes: Switch question in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GarryW

-
Reaction score
New to the forum so apologies if the format of this is incorrect. I'm a DIY'er and thought it would be relatively easy to switch out a standard double gang socket that powers kitchen lights and external security light for a dimmable switch. I fitted a varilight V-Pro yesterday and replaced all LEDs in the kitchen spots with dimmable lights. The kitchen works a treat much to the delight of the Mrs. Sadly I hadn't thought through the implications for the external security light. It's now not working (occasional flicker) and clearly the dimmer circuit (even on full) is not appropriate for the 100W equivalent PIR LED lamp. I really want to avoid the cost and effort of re-wiring the external light. Is anyone aware of a double gang that has dimming on one side and a standard switch on the other? The kitchen uses 7 down spots.

Why on earth do you or your misses want to dim kitchen lights? It is a work room with sharp tools where you need maximum lighting. Do you want fingers cut off by mistake?

as above posts.change the dimmer for the outside light to a rocker. might need to replace what you have for a switch plate with interchangeables. e.g. grid type, as posted by our learned friend, vertigo vortigern. :D:D:D

as above posts.change the dimmer for the outside light to a rocker. might need to replace what you have for a switch plate with interchangeables. e.g. grid type, as posted by our learned friend, vertigo vortigern. :D:D:D
Thanks for the feedback. Now spoken to switch supplier and have a "dummy" dimmer on order that I can swap in to the double gang. Very simple when you know how! Hoping to change this later in the week and resolve the problem. Thanks to all!

Reply to LED dimming woes: Switch question in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock