Discuss LED downlight flickering and going on and off intermittently in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have 6 x GU 5.3 LED downlights in the bathroom. Had no issues for 3 years and lights have started flickering and some go off for periods and come back on randomly. Changed the bulbs for new ones but exactly the same. There is no dimmer switch. Just a standard single way switch. HELP!!!

Are these LED lamps running on 12V electronic transformers that are designed for halogen lamps, with perhaps a minimum load of 20W?

Yes they are 12V 5W each but I don't know where the transformer is located (possibly in ceiling) to see what type and its power rating. Strange it's been fine for like 3 years though dont you think?

Typically there is one transformer per light, typically rated 20 to 60W. Though sometimes a larger transformer is used to power several lights. One reason to use smaller transformers per each light is they are then small enough to fit through the downlight holes, so if you drop the light fitting, it should be accessible (assuming whoever installed them left enough slack cable!). Of course, in an upstairs room the transformers can often be accessed from the loft.

Typically there is one transformer per light, typically rated 20 to 60W. Though sometimes a larger transformer is used to power several lights. One reason to use smaller transformers per each light is they are then small enough to fit through the downlight holes, so if you drop the light fitting, it should be accessible (assuming whoever installed them left enough slack cable!). Of course, in an upstairs room the transformers can often be accessed from the loft.
Great I will check if eXh has its own TX. My loft is converted and has laminate flooring so would like to avoid opening the floorboards

Reply to LED downlight flickering and going on and off intermittently in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net