Discuss LED Downlighter problems in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is anyone else finding that LED downlighters are failing earlier than the spec? I've been buying Aurora FRL903s because they look good and the spec gives them 75000 hours but over a period of just a few months several of them have failed and the failure frequency seems to be increasing. First they start to flash then one of the LEDs fail altogether. If others are finding the same then I'm wondering whether it could be a design fault. Any ideas or comment from the LED experts?

i've got 16 kosnics in a customers house. 2 have failed within 4 months. not bloody cheap at £12 a pop, either.

I'm using kosnics, used loads of them, but in one house where the bathroom ceiling was lowered and clad in plastic cladding, every single one of them (6) has failed over a period of about 3 months
the replacements have worked perfectly since.
i wonder if it was a dodgy batch or they may have been dropped causing a shorter life

Well least if you buy from wholesaler , you can take back easy enough..... Think 75,000 hours is about 8 years constant running so say at most 10 hours a day taking it over 16 years gurantee. Put in diary i said to one client..

The wholesaler has taken them back but that's not the problem - it means so much hassle, time and effort that is wasted and also confidence in a product that I recommended in the first place. And they are not cheap either.

Cafe I done recently, I gave him 5 spare so didn't have to run back and forward. Obviously he payed for them within quote , think 80 odd all in. None failed yet in 5 months. Smd ones. £7 each

No, they are the normal FRL903 Cool type that aren't dimmable, all installed downstairs in the voids between the ceiling and floors upstairs so there's no insulation to cause overheating that you could get upstairs from an insulated loft. I just can't explain why in several different houses I'm getting similar failures after only a few months use.

we've fitted over 1000 of those aurora's in the last two years and not had one fail ??

are you sure those fittings that you say are failing are not covered up by thermal insulation ??

the main reason LED fittings blow is due to overheating, make sure they are well clear from any insulation.

I don't bother with retro fitting LED GU10's anymore. not worth the hassle IMO.

on the aurora fittings with 7 years guarantee and no chance of the client fitting halogens after you cant go wrong. and at £20 a fitting they are the same or sometimes cheaper than buying a standard GU10 fitting and adding an LED lamp.

re-reading the post...

no insulation... could be a funny batch of fittings ??

we've fitted over 1000 of those aurora's in the last two years and not had one fail ??

Same here install tons of these on a weekly basis, only had one fail so far (around sept/oct last year '12) - great product though :smiley2:

JCC fireguard 7's are my choice. 10 year guarantee not had one give in yet. Look the part too. Also the light is equivalent to 50w as well as the light colour being the same as a GU10

what wattage are they?

I've been installing mainly 4W, GU10 with no returns or overheating issues yet

JCC fireguard 7's are my choice. 10 year guarantee not had one give in yet. Look the part too. Also the light is equivalent to 50w as well as the light colour being the same as a GU10

The terminals on the jcc fittings are rubbish and the fixed driver to the fitting is not ideal IMO

Reply to LED Downlighter problems in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock