Discuss led downlighting wiring help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J-b

-
Reaction score
hi I just wondered if anyone could help at all I’m installing led down lights in my bedroom I’ve taken the original lighting/mains cable back into the loft which will be joined in a junction box and then run my cable from that to the first downlight and then run the second light of the first,the third of the second light and so on untill the end (8lights) the cable I’ve currently got to use is 1.5mm 3 core white flex is this ok to use/upto standards for what it will be being used for ?

Also the lights don’t require an earth so can I just clip the eart cable out the way? Any help would be appreciated thanks

Are you a spark?
Installing down lights is not a DIY job, so easy to do a bad/unsafe job.

Don't clip the earth out of the way. Leave it intact through to the last light for when you do your EFLI test. Make sure to clip the cable neatly throughout. Ensure you meet manufacturers recommendations regards thermal insulation. Don't forget your IR test just to be on the safe side. Be sure to meet building regs regards fireproofing, sound etc. Jobs a goodun.

J.B, I see you are from Nottingham forest. I'm down your way in a couple of months ,give me a couple of bit coins I will do the job .
and you could call me robin hood .

I was planning to just run a in and out cable Into the joint box that’s already attached to the light itself and just thought that with them needing to be moved in and out painting the ceiling etc that flex cable would be more suitable than t&e cable as that will only take so many movements of being pulled up and down before it will break? That’s just what I assume lol

led downlighting wiring help 9862E155-80F4-4548-B498-3F64D6D262C4 - EletriciansForums.net

I was planning to just run a in and out cable Into the joint box that’s already attached to the light itself and just thought that with them needing to be moved in and out painting the ceiling etc that flex cable would be more suitable than t&e cable as that will only take so many movements of being pulled up and down before it will break? That’s just what I assume lol
crack on !

Flex is ok to use, make sure it is neatly laid in the loft. As Vortigern said about the CPC (green/ yellow) connect it all the way along the route so it is continuous to the end light for testing.
Onto the more serious bit. It’s not easy to make downlights look great without some equipment that an electrician would have with them including the continuity testing equipment to know the circuit is safe to recommission, a laser or chalk line and hole cutters to make it very neat.
If you are going to do it yourself, safe isolation of the circuit and most importantly, please take a photo of the ceiling before and after to show us when you finish - we will then give you a pat on the back or say ‘told you do’.
Be careful.

be aware that different makes/types of downlights require different sizes of holes. some are OK with a 16oz. claw hammer. some need a 5lb. lump hammer, to make the holes.

Ps check it’s not plaster and lathe before you start otherwise read the other thread!

Lol thanks for the help the holes I measured and drilled out yesterday and laid the cable in place to all the holes so going to wire it all up and see how it goes :) should I leave the flex under the insulation in the loft or is it best sitting ontop?
will upload a finished pic (if I get that far!)

I am going to get it checked over just to be sure by an electrician once done but I’m pretty good at a lot of things including electrics so I’d rather have them checked over then have to pay out for an electrician to come and do all the work and wiring up etc and charge me ten times what the lights cost me lol

personally I would not use flex for fixed wiring, it's my choice not to, some will say it's OK to use flex, I guess I was brought up to do the job properly, by that I mean clipping the cable to the rafters, using twin and earth (in this case) cable, more importantly NOT cutting the cpc out.

Reply to led downlighting wiring help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock