Discuss LED driver in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

t0m4

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I have to install few meters of led tape in an office.

My question is connecting to the driver, which is supposed to be in the loft area.
This is the driver:
http://www.nationallighting.co.uk/admin/products/largeimages/12/12495.jpg

How are you connecting this kind of drivers to the mains (switch)?
My problem is that the live connection points are not protected by any enclosure.

So how can I install this to comply with the regs.. ?!

Kind regards,
Tom

Hi,

I have to install few meters of led tape in an office.

My question is connecting to the driver, which is supposed to be in the loft area.
This is the driver:
http://www.nationallighting.co.uk/admin/products/largeimages/12/12495.jpg

How are you connecting this kind of drivers to the mains (switch)?
My problem is that the live connection points are not protected by any enclosure.

So how can I install this to comply with the regs.. ?!

Kind regards,
Tom

If it is only a few metres, that driver looks like over kill. Check out the wattage per metre, multiply it up, check if it needs to be 12 or 24V and go to Aurora - 'Passionate about Lighting', the link is to the 25W 12V constant voltage driver (AU-LED2512CV). Swap the 25 for 50 for bigger wattage driver and 12 for 24 if you need the higher voltage.

I have a couple of metres installed under my kitchen cabinets and still going strong after 3+ years.

Hoi,
Thanks for the reply.

Bright Spark:
The few meters are around 30M :) and I already have them on site, with couple of drivers.

Richard:
I thought something similar because the drivers are already there, so I couldnt choose different one.

But on the other hand, I know that this kind of drivers are generaly used/accepted on the market,
I just want to know how other sparks are installing them.
(I think I know the answare, but this is quiet.. hmm..)

Then I would be happy to hear what the manufacturer think about this..
Ok, I already hear the answare:
"This product must be installed according to the current wiring regulations."
Ohh yee, thanks mate!

Anyway, if somebody has a working idea (with a product name/code), please let me know.. ! ;)

Thanks,
Tom

These are known as open case rack drivers, usually used in custom made racks to house these style of units hence why they are not really suitable for use domestic/commercially ( as you have mentioned the problem above) chinese manfactured and imported by companies not really understanding the UK regulations...my advice would be to change it for a suitable enclosed terminal driver,

Reply to LED driver in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net