Discuss LED Driver in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have recently bought a reel of SMD LED strip lighting. I know it's suggested that you use an LED driver to power these but they seem very expensive. I was wandering if I could use a standard electronic transformer used for powering LV spotlights, as long as I meet the minimum load?

I struggle to see why not but am open to correction.

thanks. neil

first of all, what do the instructions say and what is the recommended voltage applied?

I doubt it will work, LEDs need uninteruppted power supply drivers to help them work, I know electronic Transformers will not be able to give an uniteruppted supply, you will have to buy the driver with a low voltage LED system.

I doubt it will work, LEDs need uninteruppted power supply drivers to help them work, I know electronic Transformers will not be able to give an uniteruppted supply, you will have to buy the driver with a low voltage LED system.

OK. so by uninterrupted you mean not a SMPS, which I guess is what the electronic transformers are.

thanks for the info

if they're 12Vdc use a car battery and charge when necessary.

on top of the wall units. usually piled with junk, anyway.or a 12Vdc psu, as used gor cctv cameras. available maplins and virtually anywhere.

Sorry, just twigged. the Transformers used for LV spots are 12VAC not 12VDC as the LED driver are.

see post 8. 12v dc psu. costa round £5 upwards.

Tel to ensure the LEDs are guranteed under warrenty it is best to use a driver and not cut corners, these manufacturers these days will void anything which they do not recommend, anyhow, I don't think the drivers are that expensive myself, the cost of a decent cree LED is more than expensive.

The LED strip I've used (cheapies off ebay) has been 12V rated and fine to run from any 12VDC power suppy. Current limiting has been handled in the strip. Daz

I supply and install alot of LED Strip lighting. I find caged power supplies up to 150W 12V DC drive LED very well but if you group a few together on a circuit they sometimes cause RCD's to trip probably through leakage. There are some decent 60W LED drivers online from UK suppliers around the £13 mark which look like slightly larger transformers. As already mentioned they need a constant power supply, I haven't seen any standard transformers drive LED without causing flickering or some other problem.
Most strip is supplied now at 12V DC allthough some do still get 24V DC strip but I have yet to use that to see what benefits it has over 12V DC.

Reply to LED Driver in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net