Discuss LED Drivers in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

stidge

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,
Have fitted out new kitchen for customer , the kitchen company have added 7 Drivers for cabinet lighting,It looks like heathrow airport ! My 6 gang grid switch is feeding lights . there s approx. 700- 900w max on ltg cct.
Its tripping MCB when introducing U/C lights. Is this because of Induction drivers ? inrush current ? Its wired in1mm so not ideal to put on 10a. Could I fit a C type breaker ? would this help ? Is it allowed ?.
Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

looks like inrush. fit a type C if Zs readings comply.

I would turn off ALL the other lights on the circuit then switch on the under cupboard lights to see what happens then before I did anything else

I would turn off ALL the other lights on the circuit then switch on the under cupboard lights to see what happens then before I did anything else
w23hat happens is it will be bright under the cupboards as long as it don't go bang.

Mixture of halefale and others I think , sorry not on job anymore , they were all provided and fitted by kitchen company ( all adhesive strips )

Must be a big kitchen, with 7 separate drivers?

I am prepping a small estate agents for some LED displays they are getting installed. Tech guy on phone said there is up to a 100A inrush for something like10mS from each driver. This shop is not big at all and there will be around 20 individual drivers. He recommended splitting load over three ccts each through a contactor as they will be on a timer. Type C usually prove sufficient was his experience, pending Zs's...

Last edited:
I've installed a few led/driver packages, only 3 or 4 15-30w drivers, and haven't had a problem...yet. After Tels helpful post did a bit of googling and found a few hits on the subject. I was aware of the issue with loads of fluorescents in a circuit, not of LED's. Seems you need a fair few in the circuit, before it causes issues, but worth knowing about.

http://adlt.com.au/technology/led-driver-inrush-currents/

Reply to LED Drivers in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock