Discuss LED GU10 Dimmable Bulbs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

eyeldham

Hello,

I have just replaced 6 GU10 Halogen bulbs with 6 Megaman LED 6W GU10 Dimming Bulbs (at great expense).

They work fine but don't seem to dim. Looking on the Megaman site and generally around there is some suggestion I need a new dimmer switch. I have a std looking MK switch which the Megaman site doesn't comment on. It recommends a Varilight JQP401W or Denmans HDP 400 amongst others.

Whilst installing the bulbs I tested the dimmer and they seemed to dim but was diff to tell as daylight. Seems almost like once all 6 were in they didn't dim.

Is this new dimmer switch a red herring or has anyone come across this before? Help please.

Ed

i believe you need a trailing edge dimmer. use one recommended by megaman.

Not used megaman lamps but used the ledlite/varilight with numerous brands with great success

the megaman are good. i tend to use the ones form convertabulb because 1. they're good. 2. they're local.3. price is keen.

I vote for the Modo LED GU10's, too. I've put around 300 in a nursing home where they are on all day (some warm white, some daylight) and of those 300 only one failed in service after about an hour

New dimmer is the answer, but led technology is not cut and dry, so finding the right dimmer is the key. Voltage is not the issue here Constant Current is, as the power supplies state. Alot of companies are drastically testing dimmers to suit there products, so for low voltage units you need a leading edge or trailing edge constant current unit. for mains gu10 you need to go with non inductive dimmers, recommended by the suppliers...have found TLC have a great stock of dimmers suited to led.

All sorted. Bought new dimmer from screwfix and now all operational. Hadn't realised would need new dimmer and was worried investment in bulbs was wasted so all good now, thanks for help all

Ed

Varilight Trailing Edge Push Dimmer 1G 1/2W 400W/VA | screwflix..com

Reply to LED GU10 Dimmable Bulbs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock