Discuss LED lamp goes on then off when switched on in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently moved and have the benefit if a garden office. Unfortunately what has now come to light is that it was not ever wired up properly. My present issue is with the wall lights.

There are three SELV Halolite wall fittings but none of them was ever connected so today I connected one but when I switch the circuit on, the lamp comes on and then immediately dims and goes out.

I have changed polarity but that has not produced an improvement.

I have not worked with LED before and just wondered if anyone can suggest what might be wrong.

Thanks

Halolite SELV transformers are designed to work with halogen lamps, not LED lamps.
Thank you, I checked and the transformer is a HA-SE60. I cannot seem to access the Halolite website but assumed ( yes I know !!!) that whoever had run the wires but not connected had installed the correct equipment.

Appreciate your quick response.

It is likely shutting down as the LED load is less than the transformers 20W minimum rating. What LED lamps do you have?

As per Freddo. The 'Electronic Transformer' you have is designed to drive 12 volt halogen/incandescent lamps of between 20 and 50 watts (with AC).
You mention LED bulbs - if you want to use these you will need a different driver.

If the bulbs were already there, perhaps the previous owner bought the wrong type, or the wrong driver?

I don't think it's to do with the overall installation. To check you could try a 35 or 50W halogen bulb.

Reply to LED lamp goes on then off when switched on in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock