Discuss Led light goes dim when switched off in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 20 watt led floodlight from b&q to put above my shed door..
Live, neutral and earth all wired up properly to the junction box.

I switch the liget on and everything works fine but when I switch it off the light doesn't not extinguish it just goes dim so obviously it's drawing current from somewhere..

The LED floodlight I had in before this one did not go dim when switched off.

I heard you can put a snubber into the live and neutral but then again why did my last floodlight not need a snubber in the circuit...

I rang b&q and they said I didn't need a snubber and just to come in and they will replace it...

It's not a pir floodlight and it's doesn't have a dimmer switch. Just an on/off switch.

Any suggestions?

“I rang B+Q and they said I didn’t need a snubber” - I can imagine that was a funny conversation!
Get it replaced, it may just be the light fitting - if it’s not then you can look at fitting a snubber to soak up that capacitance in the cabling.

Is the switch by any chance one that has a small neon/LED that is lit up when the light is switched off?

Yes it is a switch with small neon light but now that you mention it the small red neon light does not light up anymore when switch is off

Here is a picture of the switch and cables at connector block in case you see something I don't lolLed light goes dim when switched off 20190310_171112 - EletriciansForums.net gLed light goes dim when switched off 20190310_171103 - EletriciansForums.net Led light goes dim when switched off 20190310_171112 - EletriciansForums.net

So when the switch is off, it passes a small current through the light, to illuminate the switch indicator. Except now instead the light illuminates a bit instead of the switch.

Disconnect the small indicator light in the switch.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the light.

So when the switch is off, it passes a small current through the light, to illuminate the switch indicator. Except now instead the light illuminates a bit instead of the switch.

Okay il try disconnect the small indicator light and I will get back to you shortly thanks

Okay so I disconnected the small indicator light and now the LED floodlight turns off and on properly. So it's worked...

Can I ask if you could please explain why disconnecting the indicator light fixed the problem?

The current to make the light work (with switch off) goes through the floodlight. With old halogen floodlights, you wouldn't notice this. With some LED floodlights, the current is enough to give a faint glow. Or sometimes the LED light pulses dimly on/off.

The current to make the light work (with switch off) goes through the floodlight. With old halogen floodlights, you wouldn't notice this. With some LED floodlights, the current is enough to give a faint glow. Or sometimes the LED light pulses dimly on/off.

I appreciate your feedback and help
Thanks very much
Take care

Maybe some switches still run a small amount of electricity through light bulbs even when turned off, usually to power small devices at switches such as timers, motion sensors .... See Consider, the possible cause of your switch has one of those features.
sorry if my english is not good!

Maybe some switches still run a small amount of electricity through light bulbs even when turned off, usually to power small devices at switches such as timers, motion sensors .... See Consider, the possible cause of your switch has one of those features.
sorry if my english is not good!
your English is better than some on here, mentioning no names:
don't tell him Pike Buzz.

Reply to Led light goes dim when switched off in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock