Discuss LED light vs fluorescent in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

horst.droege

I have an LED T8 tube, 1.2m, on 240VAC it draws about 80mA and should have 18W. I do have compared it with a 1.2m fluorescent T8 tube, 36W plus ballast which has on 240 VAC 400mA. The current I have measured with an AC multimeter. Means the LED light saves 5 times the power. If I compare the 18W to 36W plus ballast (around 8W). I have measured this with a Watt-meter. So my question is : On the electric bill, do i save half the money or do I save about 5 times the money ? Thanks for lighten me up.

Well, you're getting half the light output, for a fifth of the power.
The light output aside, you're saving 5 time the money, as opposed to half the money if you had halved the light output to a 18W standard tube.
Often though the light output is less of an issue, I think that's due to the wavelength of the light put out by LED vs Fluorescent or Filament Bulbs. Or I could be chatting out of my --- on this one, I CBA to look it up :)

Well, you're getting half the light output, for a fifth of the power.
The light output aside, you're saving 5 time the money, as opposed to half the money if you had halved the light output to a 18W standard tube.
Often though the light output is less of an issue, I think that's due to the wavelength of the light put out by LED vs Fluorescent or Filament Bulbs. Or I could be chatting out of my --- on this one, I CBA to look it up :)

Hi,
thanks for the answer. It sounds right to me. Unfortunately all people I spoke with say I pay only half....not sure if they all wrong or me. I guess i equip one office room and see the bill..but considering if i draw 400 mA for tube and ballast thats the real power consumption.
I light output on a 18W LED is about same as a 36W fluorescent. LED light is very directional (nothing reflected to back and side), no Loss for ballast and no mercury. And long lasting with 50000 hrs. Our utility supply moves between 235-255 VAC and most fluorescent are gone after 3 month.

Reply to LED light vs fluorescent in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net