Discuss LED Lighting - Equivilent of Flourescent Tubes? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a client who's about to buy up the units next door to his current warehouse, and fit it all out similar to his current warehouse and move buildings (double the size).

We currently use a pair of 5ft Fittings per aisle under his mezzanine floor but we're looking at fitting occupancy sensors per aisle so when people move down them they will light up. Obviously with Flourescent tubes there's a time lag to full light output, and I'm also thinking that they might not cope too well (even with HF units) with going on and off all the time.

So we're leaning towards LED, and we've seen 600x600 modular units which will be great for the offices in the suspended ceilings, but come in rather expensive at nearly £200 an aisle for the warehouse (and we're talking probably 8-10 aisles). Height is about 2.4m roughly, and the aisle is about 1.5m wide by 6m or so long.

I can see that you can buy LED Tubes for florry strips, but even that adds up. Does anyone know of a product we can specify for this?

Cheers!

Alex.

All LEDs will work out expensive initially, sounds like you should be using high bay lighting here, but that would cost more than modular fittings at the same wattage, but you would probably need fewer fittings..

There are some reasonably cheap (but probably short life) MH / SON replacement LED lamps that may work out cheaper.

Hey All,

I have a client who's about to buy up the units next door to his current warehouse, and fit it all out similar to his current warehouse and move buildings (double the size).

We currently use a pair of 5ft Fittings per aisle under his mezzanine floor but we're looking at fitting occupancy sensors per aisle so when people move down them they will light up. Obviously with Flourescent tubes there's a time lag to full light output, and I'm also thinking that they might not cope too well (even with HF units) with going on and off all the time.

So we're leaning towards LED, and we've seen 600x600 modular units which will be great for the offices in the suspended ceilings, but come in rather expensive at nearly £200 an aisle for the warehouse (and we're talking probably 8-10 aisles). Height is about 2.4m roughly, and the aisle is about 1.5m wide by 6m or so long.

I can see that you can buy LED Tubes for florry strips, but even that adds up. Does anyone know of a product we can specify for this?

Cheers!

Alex.

I would suggest you do some number crunching cost of the fittings, lamp life and replacement cost, energy use and come up with the costs and pay back periods for each option, if the claims are to be believed LED's can have a 30,000 Hr life how many times are the lamps going to be replaced in the other options in that time

Did this 25+ years ago when looking at Tungsten Halogen fittings against Sodium floods costing 6 or 7 times the price the payback time can be less than a year, a high initial cost may see considerable savings in the medium to long term

Hehe, easy mistake to make, done it enough myself! High bay is all very well and good, but takes a while to come on and warm up, plus I think they prefer the flourescent light in the warehouse, though we are looking at LED floods. 10w are about £10 each, which is cheap as chips, and may be the answer to the problem, cheaply. Might even look at using them for the main warehouse also at that sort of money!

Just remember that a 10W LED floodlight is about the brightness of a 60W bulb (in a specific direction), you may need to go a bit brighter if people are working in the area.

Hey All,

Cheers!

Alex.
So your client can afford to buy a 70,000 quid unit and get probably 5,000 a year in rent from it but won't spend 500 quid on relighting it? sounds about right as per usual.

So your client can afford to buy a 70,000 quid unit and get probably 5,000 a year in rent from it but won't spend 500 quid on relighting it? sounds about right as per usual.

Hehe, yep. It'll be a bit more than that, the units need substantial work on them, new electrics top to bottom, new heating, the roofs need looking at, he's got to buy more racking, cctv fire, etc. It all adds up. We sat around in the office and I think we reckon he's going to have to shell out 30k+ just to get the units into a workable situation to move into them, with about that again to make them how he wants them.

But kudos to the guy, he's the same age as me, and he's built the business up from djing while he was at uni into a business which I think last year turned over a good couple of million.

And yep, we aren't sure on the 10W floods, so we are actually going to buy a 10W and 20W and a occupancy sensor and retro-fit this to one of the existing aisles in the current warehouse, and we will see what the guys in the warehouse think :)

Reply to LED Lighting - Equivilent of Flourescent Tubes? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net