Discuss LED lighting layout... colour varaitions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening All....

Just planning the next stage on a job I have on the go at present. Bungalow with a lot of the internal walls being removed to open plan it all.

The area I'm getting my head round at the mo is the downlight plan.... they want the bliming things everywhere :sad_smile:

Will be open plan kitchen, seating area/ entrance hall - approx 15m x 7m. Will probably be splitting into 2 zones kitchen zone 1 and the remainder on zone 2.

In a kitchen I would always recommend natural white (4000k / Aurora Sola LED) but think this will be to stark for the seating/ entrance hall... would be good to use a warm white for these (3000k / Aurora Sola) ?

My question is would this look odd having 2 lamp variations in the same locality, even though they be switched differently and be within 2 separately defined areas? Hope someone makes some sense of this, sorry long day.... :dizzy2:

Cheers

Sy

Yes it would drive me nuts lol :). I've only ever had one customer like white LEDs, I find its like being in a dental studio :( to harsh, commercial fine, domestic no.

I much prefer the look of cool white, but to answer your question i think 2 different colours in visible proximity would look pants. Perhaps if you fitted cool white everywhere but fitted dimmers in the areas where it needs to be less harsh?

Cheers Guys.... yep dimmable warm white throughout it is, customer happy with that - simples:smile5:

I use halers pro dimmambles.
Used Halers when started with LEDs couple of years back, have also tried JCC a few times along the way, but current all round favourite now for quite a while are Aurora Solas (go through a fair few of these every month and have managed to screw my wholesaler right down to a decent price : £20/per unit non dim and £25/per unit dimmable)

I think it's worth remembering here that one manufacturers 'warm' and 'cool' can differ from another's. You need to compare temperatures as there's quite a difference between 3kK and 3.7kK, equally 'neutral' can be anything between 4 & 5kK.

The only place I install daylight (6400K) in domestic is bathrooms (for the ladies make-up requirements!)

I find Halers H2 a pain in the arse, unless the dimmer is matched or they have approved it they blow, had 2 go in the same room, turned out they have a compatibility issue with lutrons Rania range, they produce a voltage spike on the load side which causes the driver to literally pop :(

Electricians probably had this conversation in the fifties and sixties when fluorescents became all the rage

"Warm White" is usually a cover-up by manufacturers for 3000K colour temperature. Since Incandescents and the majority of CLS lamps are closer to 2700, then even "Warm White" may come over a little cool and blueish for some tastes.

If you want a close match to what people are used to, then hunt down 2700K which might be called "Very Warm White", probably only available as separate GU10 bulbs. I fitted some Philips Master LED the other day in 2700K and they are very nice.

Problem being you loose efficiency at 2700 with LED and they are harder to find (It's easier and cheaper to make 3000k).

"Warm White" is usually a cover-up by manufacturers for 3000K colour temperature. Since Incandescents and the majority of CLS lamps are closer to 2700, then even "Warm White" may come over a little cool and blueish for some tastes.

If you want a close match to what people are used to, then hunt down 2700K which might be called "Very Warm White", probably only available as separate GU10 bulbs. I fitted some Philips Master LED the other day in 2700K and they are very nice.

Problem being you loose efficiency at 2700 with LED and they are harder to find (It's easier and cheaper to make 3000k).

Also, the behaviour of tungsten is such that you get a whole rang of distinctly amber tones at lower dimming values - just take a clear 100W bulb and try it - below around 30% and not only is your light 'dim' it's also almost orange in colour.

Reply to LED lighting layout... colour varaitions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock