Discuss LED lighting replaced Halogen (GU10) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I wonder if you can help
In a rented property the kitchen has around 10 GU 10 halogen lights the tenant decided to replace these lights with new GU 10 lights And these days as you can only easily source LED GU10 Bulbs I’m almost certain the tenant has replaced the halogen lights with LED lights (I will go there and confirm this tomorrow).
The problem is now the RCD keeps tripping I went there before and had to replace the dimmer switch which had melted. I initially replaced it with another dimmer switch but I did not solve the problem and so I replaced it with a normal toggle switch. This has still not solved the problem the RCD continues to trip. From what the tenant tells me it’s only happens when the lights are first turned on if the breaker is reset then everything is fine.

to me this sounds like that there is a problem with the inrush current exceeding the RCD limits (the inrush current would also explain the burnt out dimmer switch)

what I would like to ask you all is what is the best solution I can

replace the LED bulbs with halogen bulbs Or does it make more sense to change the RCD from a type AC to a type A RCD and also change the MCB to a type C

Or am I barking up completely the wrong tree?

Many thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can provide.

check if the RCD is a RCBO. if so it could well be inrush current tripping the MCB part of the device. uprating to a C type may solve the problem.

Its usually the MCB that trips on in-rush current not the RCD.I would be testing insulation resistance first on the circuits feeding the RCD to see if any are down.The tenant could have trapped one of the cables when changing the lamps.I have never had 10 GU10 LED lamps cause an issue with in-rush before.

Reply to LED lighting replaced Halogen (GU10) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net