• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss LED lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ross Trician

Good evening folks.
I have a customer who I am planning a rewire for and ther are asking for LED lights for in treads, wall washing, down lights etc....
I am aware of the general down lighter spot lights etc but whilst browsing the web for ideas, styles, costs etc I see some stuff is 240V supply where as other stuff requires a driver.
why is there a need for a driver? what are the benifits of 240V and "driver" type led stuff? what are your own opinions of them, any particiular brands that are good quality over other poor stuff.
thanks, Ross.

F

fredie

Re: LED lightining

Good evening folks.
I have a customer who I am planning a rewire for and ther are asking for LED lights for in treads, wall washing, down lights etc....
I am aware of the general down lighter spot lights etc but whilst browsing the web for ideas, styles, costs etc I see some stuff is 240V supply where as other stuff requires a driver.
why is there a need for a driver? what are the benifits of 240V and "driver" type led stuff? what are your own opinions of them, any particiular brands that are good quality over other poor stuff.
thanks, Ross.
We have installed different LED lighting in numerous jobs. The simple ones i.e. Philips or Aurora LED GU10 lamps dont need a driver and they are dimmable. We have installed Robus and Cooper LED lights - these need a driver. The driver is the control gear and you can have standard switchable or dimmable drivers for most LED lights. Yes you need to be careful LED lamps are entirely different, it's new technology and is at the moment changeable.

R

Ross Trician

Re: LED lightining

thanks for the reply, I dont want to sound dim... but why do some need the driver, do they do something different? am I correct in saying 240v led lamps are for example gu10 lamps, where as say a 3watt led spot needs a driver?

jase

Electrician's Arms
a 240 LED gu10 will have the driver "built in" much as a CFL lamp has the control gear built in instead of needing a ballast like a normal fluory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.