Discuss LED lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Ross Trician

Good evening folks.
I have a customer who I am planning a rewire for and ther are asking for LED lights for in treads, wall washing, down lights etc....
I am aware of the general down lighter spot lights etc but whilst browsing the web for ideas, styles, costs etc I see some stuff is 240V supply where as other stuff requires a driver.
why is there a need for a driver? what are the benifits of 240V and "driver" type led stuff? what are your own opinions of them, any particiular brands that are good quality over other poor stuff.
thanks, Ross.

Re: LED lightining

Good evening folks.
I have a customer who I am planning a rewire for and ther are asking for LED lights for in treads, wall washing, down lights etc....
I am aware of the general down lighter spot lights etc but whilst browsing the web for ideas, styles, costs etc I see some stuff is 240V supply where as other stuff requires a driver.
why is there a need for a driver? what are the benifits of 240V and "driver" type led stuff? what are your own opinions of them, any particiular brands that are good quality over other poor stuff.
thanks, Ross.

We have installed different LED lighting in numerous jobs. The simple ones i.e. Philips or Aurora LED GU10 lamps dont need a driver and they are dimmable. We have installed Robus and Cooper LED lights - these need a driver. The driver is the control gear and you can have standard switchable or dimmable drivers for most LED lights. Yes you need to be careful LED lamps are entirely different, it's new technology and is at the moment changeable.

Re: LED lightining

thanks for the reply, I dont want to sound dim... but why do some need the driver, do they do something different? am I correct in saying 240v led lamps are for example gu10 lamps, where as say a 3watt led spot needs a driver?

a 240 LED gu10 will have the driver "built in" much as a CFL lamp has the control gear built in instead of needing a ballast like a normal fluory

Reply to LED lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock